Arlo Pro 3 Questions before I purchase

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
prantsaga
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've been looking at buying a 2 camera outdoor system for my home but my questions are:

1. How far away will it detect motion and activate recording?

2. I have two buildings on my property, one has very thick stone walls, can I have one camera on each building or does the Smart Hub living in just one building stop this being an option - is there a solution if so?

3. If I wanted to purchase additional 1st or 2nd generation Arlo cameras, for areas that are less important, will they be compatible with the Arlo 3 system?

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to reply.

2 REPLIES 2
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Q1, 25ft line of sight from camera’s front face for infrared motion  sensor. Some cameras have pixel motion detection but limited for nighttime unless you have external infrared flood lighting and external continuous power to cameras.

Q2, wifi has a max range of 300ft with no obstacles, each drywall reduces range to half the distance, brick wall reduces to a quarter unless has rebar which will worsen. You may be able to use multiple base stations to improve the signal quality to the cameras.

You should be able to test the signal using your mobile set for your local wifi to see how many bars it drops down to at the proposed camera locations.

Q3, The older generation cameras will require a base or smart hub to connect to.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@prantsaga wrote:

If I wanted to purchase additional 1st or 2nd generation Arlo cameras, for areas that are less important, will they be compatible with the Arlo 3 system?

They'd be compatible with any smarthub.

They haven't been manufactured for some years, so they'd be used cameras. They were sold with 7-day free cloud storage, so the ones that are out there sell for a premium price.  Since you will need a subscription for cloud storage for the new cameras anyway, they probably won't be a good value for you.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation