Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am just about ready to purchase a 2 camera system.

Just a couple questions.

I am really only concerned with detection and recording when I am not at home.  When home I really do not need active cameras.  However, I am in and out on a random schedule.

From my review of the users manual it looks like I can enable the cameras from the app very easily before I leave the house.  Open the app and enable both cameras.  Is it that easy?  Also looks like the Geofencing option can turn them off when I return.  Adds another step since I also arm my security system when I leave.

Thinking about this, would not want the cameras to trigger as I pull out of the driveway so may have to enable after getting out of detection range.  Would be great if you could set an enable delay? Or does it?

Next, I really do like the idea of a USB drive in the Hub.  So, will I get recordings on the USB device should my internet connection go out?  Seems I should because that is a dedicated WiFi conenction.  I do know I will not get an alert on my phone, but in the event of a break in with internet out, I will have a recording from the Arlo cameras.  My alarm system uses a dedicated cell system and does not depend on the internet.

OK, would appreciate any corrections or clarifications.

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like geofencing would be your best solution with the Home setting being DIsarmed and Away using the Armed mode (or a custom one if you want).

Local recordings will always be recorded regardless of Internet connection. Generally, it's more important that power remain on so use a UPS for your modem, router and hub. At least in my experience, Internet access is more reliable than power just as telephone (not cell) is as long as a tree didn't take out all the wiring.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation