Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DW2079
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm am generally really happy with my 4 camera setup.   The only issue I have is with geofencing.   It works "most" of the time but other times one of our phones is either stuck at home or away causing either no alerts or lots of false alerts.   I have found that if we check the app on each phone I find one of them is logged out.   Once I log it back in again everything settles down for another week or two.   Rinse and repeat.   I do not want to have to constantly open the app to ensure it is logged in.   That defeats the purpose of the geofencing automation.   Note that it is definitely an Arlo issue as I have many other things working quite successfully with Geofencing from both phones.   Is there some way to keep the app logged in permanently???

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DW2079,

How often are you experiencing this? Are you opening the app daily or are you going several days without having opened the app at all?

JamesC

DW2079
Aspirant
Aspirant

it happens every week or two.  I haven’t timed it to get an actual pattern.  

We really only open the app when we realise the system isn’t arming/disarming with the geofence.  It’s a security setup so we have no need to be watching the cameras when we are at home or if there are no alerts.  I have it well tuned to avoid false alerts etc so the best scenario is to never have to open the app as that means there have been no security events.  

DW2079
Aspirant
Aspirant

I noticed this again today.  The system didn’t arm and when I checked our phones my wife’s had been logged out so it didn’t realise she had left our home. 

The workaround for this would be to arm/disarm the system manually but that’s not why I bought a system that supports automation.  

Any ideas?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DW2079,

If the app is logged out, there is no way for geofencing to update. The app must remain logged in for the feature to work correctly.

Some mobile devices have battery saving settings that close apps that have been open for too long, check to make sure Arlo isn't being closed automatically.

JamesC

DW2079
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey James, thanks for the reply.   I'm not aware of any such setting in an iPhone/iOS.   If you know of anything I can check please let me know.   I can't be the only person this problem.

David

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DW2079 wrote:

I'm not aware of any such setting in an iPhone/iOS.   

Look in Settings->General->Background App Refresh, and make sure Arlo is enabled there.

Note this won't be enough if the phone goes into low power mode.

DW2079
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have confirmed that setting is enabled on both of our iPhones.

It's sounding like I am not going to be able to rely on geofencing for this to work properly 😞

DW2079
Aspirant
Aspirant

Another 2 months has passed and no further replies to this.   My wife keeps asking me why I bought this rubbish.   I specifically bought something with Geofencing capability and when it works it is great.   But if you can't rely on it and you have to remember to manually arm it if you don't see it auto-arm by geofence then it's not very useful as a security product at all.

Other apps on my phone stay logged in forever and don't have any issue with geofencing.   Why can't the Arlo app operate the same way????   I really want this to work.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation