Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jaums
Aspirant
Aspirant

VMS4640P-100NAS

I have ordered 7 Pro 3 cams & a video doorbell.  From what I am reading signal strength can be an annoying problem--for one thing single strength varies so can cause the most difficult of problems to solve:  intermittent problems.

Is there a way to test signal strength in the vicinities where I intend to install the 7 cams and doorbell?  My home is a rambler, so somewhat spread out and my router, unfortunately, is at one side of the house in the 'office'.

Can I use my android smartphone to take readings in the vicinity of each of the cams?  If so, what should I look for?

If I will need to move my router or my repeater or need additional equipment to carry the signal further, it would be helpful to know ahead of time.

I plan to bench test everything before installing it, but a bench test doesn't test signal strength where everything will ultimately installed.

Thanks!

Jaums

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When the hub is installed (doesn't need to be claimed yet, just turned on) you can use a WiFi network app on your phone to view the strength of the hub's signal at the locations where you think you want to place a camera. Look for a signal named ARLO_VMB**** since that will be the hub. It sounds like there's gonna be an issue based on your description but that can be solved by using multiple hubs, placed so the cameras attached to them have good signal. You can try to maximize the signal using one hub and see how that goes before buying another.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When the hub is installed (doesn't need to be claimed yet, just turned on) you can use a WiFi network app on your phone to view the strength of the hub's signal at the locations where you think you want to place a camera. Look for a signal named ARLO_VMB**** since that will be the hub. It sounds like there's gonna be an issue based on your description but that can be solved by using multiple hubs, placed so the cameras attached to them have good signal. You can try to maximize the signal using one hub and see how that goes before buying another.

Jaums
Aspirant
Aspirant
Great info, thanks.

What should the signal be to be considered satisfactory--for most of the time?

Can you point out which item to get if I do need an additional hub?
Jaums
Aspirant
Aspirant
And, do additional hubs need to be wired to my router? Or they are repeaters that pick up the signal from the first hub?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jaums wrote:
And, do additional hubs need to be wired to my router? Or they are repeaters that pick up the signal from the first hub?

They all connect with ethernet.  If the wiring isn't practical, you could use powerline network adapters or perhaps a wifi extender that has an ethernet port. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation