Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
stonna
Aspirant
Aspirant

My wife just upgraded to an iPhone 14 Pro and now geofencing won't recognize the location of her device, only mine. Always thinks she is away from home. Her account was granted access from mine. Everything worked fine on her previous iPhone. 

I've tried most of the workarounds including removing and reading her account, confirming location privacy settings, etc. 

Any ideas? 

36 REPLIES 36
Meechmom
Star
Star

I have 7 cameras on geofencing then suddenly 2 days ago I noticed the cameras were ‘disarmed’. They were all working fine prior to this. I have them set to armed when I’m away and when I’m home, set to schedule. I have tried removing the app, restarting my iPhone 13, then reinstalling. I have also restarted the Base Station 2 times. It still says disarmed when in geofencing mode or schedule mode. I believe this has happened before  a few years ago (I have had these cameras and same base station for 5 years) and it just resolves itself.

I was hoping that someone might have a different solution.

Thank you.

jgrein
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same problem. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't say for sure but remember that GF is a function of the phone's location capability. If the app isn't getting the proper location, it can't work. 

Also, be sure that the app is logged into. My wife doesn't usually use the app for anything and the login times out, causing GF to fail for both of us.

Meechmom
Star
Star

I think I have it fixed. It started on or about the time I uploaded iOS 16. I have no clue why but this tweak fixed it. I went into my schedule 2 days ago and tweaked the times. I had the camera go from ‘armed’ to ‘front of the house’ at 6am. I had to change the time on to front to 6:01am for the daytime, off at 7:00 pm, then back to ‘armed’ at 7:01pm.  Previously, the times were the same for on and off. Off at 6:00 and on at 6:00am. Geofencing is back working again. Fingers crossed. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Meechmom,

This will resolve the issue. The problem is when modes within a schedule overlap. A new firmware release is on the way to resolve this but the workaround you've described should also remain stable.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue should now be resolved. If you're still experiencing this behavior, please let us know.

JamesC

Reavenson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am still having the geofencing issue. Please advise. 

KayKayKay
Aspirant
Aspirant

My geofencing all of a sudden stoped recognizing where I am. So it won’t turn itself on when I leave the house anymore. And if I catch it and ‘arm’ all devices after I have left then it won’t recognize me when I come ‘home’ either. This has always been glitchy in the 8 years I have been using Arlo, but I usually can fix it by logging off and on. Or deleting the app and redownloading. By rebooting my phone. Shutting off the Arlo box. Nothing at all is working to get Arlo to track my location. And yes,  that all is enabled in settings on iPhone. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

I can’t help you to make the geofencing work reliably, only the arlo app developer has this responsibility.

To restart the geofencing function you need to disable the system mode and then edit the geofencing mode then re-enable it.

You can also enable the geofencing notifications option to alert you when the mode changes so when you leave the zone and you don’t get a notification you can stop your vehicle and perform the geofencing reset to get it working again. Same for when you return to the zone.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Reavenson

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest anything you have previously performed.

Reavenson
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS I have reset the base station several times and updated the app. This has happened previously in the past and the work around then was to keep app open as I entered and exited the geofencing area but this time that doesn't work. This problem seemed to have started after the latest apple iOS update. 

Knuky
Tutor
Tutor

Im having the same issue since latest firmware update 13/9 and even after subsequent update on the 22/9. This didn't work under iOS 15 and still doesn't work under iOS 16. It is working as expected with an Arlo Ultra base station. Both device appear to have issues with HomeKit as it is asking for it to be setup even though it is already setup and I see multiple people having HomeKit issues presumably having reset base station based on support advice.

Any help would be appreciated.
Support request has been raised. Have confirmed all iOS device are in the geofencing zone and have rebuilt all schedules and removed over lapping times.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi,

I have a few questions for you. Do you have the Allow location access set to always on your iSO devices? You can find the sin Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > Select the Arlo Secure app > Always.

Are you using multiple enabled devices for Geofencing? 

Thanks 

Reavenson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, the settings are correct and no, I'm not using multiple devices for geofencing. Just one device which is my iPhone. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do you have your location set to always in your phones settings? 

Dannybear
Master
Master

Yeah, low battery mode disabled also.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stonna wrote:

Any ideas? 

If she hasn't upgraded iOS to 16.0.2, she should try doing that.

stonna
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes, unfortunately that has not helped. 

Reavenson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes

Reavenson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, low battery mode is disabled. 

stonna
Aspirant
Aspirant

Anyone else notice that after the iOS app update yesterday, geofencing is all broken? Doesn't work on any of my phones now

Taylo607
Aspirant
Aspirant

After upgrading to iOS 16.0.2 , my geofencing thinks I am at home when I am away and away when I am home. I have tried the entire gambit of suggested fixes and triple checked all app settings to no avail.

kimber88
Aspirant
Aspirant

Geofencing has stopped working on my app.  I have checked all of my iPhone settings and they are correct.  It seems to be an app-based problem - if I select Armed, Disarmed or Perimeter mode (custom mode I setup for exterior cameras only) and then geofencing, when I go back to the screen showing which mode is selected, it always, always shows the last mode I selected before geofencing.  So, if I switch from Disarmed to Geofencing, the app will show I am in disarmed mode, even though Geofencing is clearly selected on the next screen.  There aren't any help options on chat or the phone for app issues.  I have no idea what to do to fix this.

Dannybear
Master
Master

Can you attach some screenshots of what you are seeing so we can compare.

I sometimes get incorrect mode status if using geofencing, I usually need to logout and back in again to see if it gets updated correctly.

Discussion stats