Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 Facing a wall.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I just picked up my two camera Arlo Pro 3 system.

My House is situated North/Sounth and all walkways run parallel to the house.

My plan is to install one camera in the front on a tree facing the front door.  The tree is about 15 feet from the house wall.  The wall is WHITE.  I  would think even if someone walked past the tree straight into the front door they would be picked up by the camera.

The second camera on a tree at the back of the house about 25 feet from again, a white wall, with the camera facing the house.  This camera if facing the driveway and I would think it would pick up a car pulling in first.

The reasoning is anyone approaching either door will walk across the camera.

I live in a rural area and will only have the cameras on when I am away from home.

Would like to hear any comments, advice, or a request for more information regarding this plan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I felt the camera facing the wall is a better solution.

I had to do similar... mount away from the door facing towards it.

Just make the record time a good fixed time .  It works great for me, getting faces as they stand by the door , esp when leaving.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

25 feet is about the max detection distance for people so that back camera may have an issue. Generally, your plan sounds good but each installation is different so testing would be needed.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.  The 25' is to the wall.  There is a gate much closer, within 10' of the camera, so, detection should work.  I was more concerned with the white walls and possible reflections but I plan to do a lot of testing before a firm decision on placing the cameras.

Most people seem to place the cameras on the building and facing out.  On the front, the walkway is like a couple feet from the wall and parallel to it, so, I felt the camera facing the wall is a better solution.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would suggest that before you permanently mount the cameras that you check the signal strength. Depending on how far they are from the base/hub and building material the signal has to go through the locations may be less than ideal.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I felt the camera facing the wall is a better solution.

I had to do similar... mount away from the door facing towards it.

Just make the record time a good fixed time .  It works great for me, getting faces as they stand by the door , esp when leaving.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

here's an example;

Door940.JPG

Discussion stats