Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Swindonpete
Tutor
Tutor

Hi All Quick question - has anyone had any experience of connecting a powerline adapter to the router and then connecting the Arlo hub to the other end of the powerline adaptor to get closer to the cameras outside without moving the router. Ie does the hub have to be connected directly to the router or is it OK to connect via the powerline adapter with one end into the router and the other into the Arlo hub on the same ring circuit and no other devices connected to the powerline adaptors? Look forward to hearing people’s experiences/views. This will mean the 2 outside cameras will be c40 feet from the hub and line of sight will be through glass French doors to the camera.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes , if your extender has an ethernet port, it will work

( of course there needs to be good thruput between the extender and router : I'd look for 2MBS per camera )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes , if your extender has an ethernet port, it will work

( of course there needs to be good thruput between the extender and router : I'd look for 2MBS per camera )

Morse is faster than texting!
Swindonpete
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks TomMac. Sounds promising. I'm in the process of ordering the kit I need and this enables me to go ahad and order the powerline adaptors. I'm looking at the TP-Link AV600 Nano Powerline Stater kit as it will be dedicated to the Arlo Hub / 2 cameras or the more expensive Netgear 1000bps Powerline Kit? As the Powerline will be dedicated to the Hub and cameras do you think the TP-Link AV600 Nano Powerline Stater kit will be good enough or ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Pretty much any new powerline extenders should be fine. The biggest issue can be the bandwidth available between both ends depending on the circuit(s) involved. I've used these in the past for various reasons and found that there can be issues depending on which outlets (hence, the circuits) I used. If on the same circuit breaker, things should be fine. Perhaps on the same side of the circuit breaker panel/input connection would be fine. Going across breakers or to the other line input may or may not cause reduced bandwidth. I'm in an older house and even after trying to have the loads redistributed I have half the house on one circuit so my experience may not be typical but testing will be needed.

Swindonpete
Tutor
Tutor

Hi jguerdat

Thanks for this insight. I’m going to go ahead and get my order in for the Arlos and powerline adapter kit and take it form there. Thanks v much.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation