Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
M3B
Aspirant
Aspirant

I currently have the Arlo Pro 2 camera system and all exterior cameras are plugged in, with no battery, because they do not work in the winter with batteries— the temperature frequently dips below the operating temperature of the batteries. 
As per the specifications for Pro 2 batteries, they will not charge if I leave them in the camera and plugged in while the temperature is below operating temps. This is why I take the battery out and power it with the power cord only.

Since the new Arlo Pro 3 Cameras have magnetic chargers, does that mean I cannot use them in the same manner as my Pro 2 cameras (plugged in with no battery)? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use them the same way as the other cameras but be aware that leaving the batteries in does no harm and will help when power is lost for any reason. The application of power may (or may not) allow the camera to still operate due to the warming caused by power being applied. In any event, I would leave the batteries in and run power to all if that's your plan.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use them the same way as the other cameras but be aware that leaving the batteries in does no harm and will help when power is lost for any reason. The application of power may (or may not) allow the camera to still operate due to the warming caused by power being applied. In any event, I would leave the batteries in and run power to all if that's your plan.

M3B
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, but when I leave the batteries in my Pro 2 cameras, while it is too cold for operation , and plug them in, they do not work. I have to take the batteries out and then the cameras work. This is the case only when weather is below normal operating temps. 

Just confirming...you are saying that the Pro 3 cameras will operate plugged in, with no batteries installed, correct?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@M3B wrote:

Just confirming...you are saying that the Pro 3 cameras will operate plugged in, with no batteries installed, correct?

Yes, but it is odd that your cameras will not work with batteries in even at low temperatures.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
M3B
Aspirant
Aspirant

They work with batteries, just not at low temperatures, even when plugged in.  See pic below. I found this on Arlo's website when my cameras wouldn't work in the dead of winter.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Did you only remove the battery because you saw that warning? Or have you ever tried to leave the batteries in during the cold weather and leave the plugged in to see what they do?

It gets real cold here too - my pro 2’s are plugged in all the time and I leave the batteries in, in case the power goes out they still will function.

Mine work fine and never just “don’t work” as you describe with the batteries in. So I was just seeing if you’ve ever tried it - or if you just haven’t left them in for fear that something gets damaged (it won’t).

And like Stephen said - the constant electrical current inherently warms things up as opposed to not being plugged in.
M3B
Aspirant
Aspirant

As I stated above, they did not work when I had the batteries installed and power cord plugged in. The Arlo comment was found after I discovered they didn’t work. I did not fear anything would happen; I took them out because they just didn’t work in the cold. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation