Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
kirstenem
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought my Pro 3 Floodlight  in May 2021 and not long after i bought an Arlo solar panel for it to keep it charged (it's not in a position to charge it any other way).  It gets plenty of sunshine and worked flawlessly right up until a couple of weeks ago.... which is when it ramdomly started going offline.   Then it would come back online again without me doing anything.   Very strange.   A few days ago, i noticed it wasn't charging  via solar anymore... in fact the little sun symbol in the app was missing from this Floodlight (i have 2 of these).   Now it gives me an error stating that the solar panel is not suitable.   The solar panel is the Model:VMA5600-10000S model - which interestingly the Arlo website now says is ONLY compatible with the Arlo Spotlight camera and NOT the Pro 3 Floodlight!!    So.. am i to believe that i now need to purchase the newer solar panel (Model:VMA5600-20000S) instead?    My other Pro 3 Floodlight is working just fine with its Model:VMA5600-10000S solar panel (absolutely no issues at all).   So why is one working and not the other?   They have the same firmware etc, all the same settings, yet one is no longer charging via solar when it used to with no issues.  ???   anyone???

13 REPLIES 13
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kirstenem wrote:

The solar panel is the Model:VMA5600-10000S model - which interestingly the Arlo website now says is ONLY compatible with the Arlo Spotlight camera and NOT the Pro 3 Floodlight!!    

I'm not seeing that - can you provide a link?

@kirstenem wrote:

So.. am i to believe that i now need to purchase the newer solar panel (Model:VMA5600-20000S) instead?    

You can use either the VMA5600-10000S or the VMA5600-20000S.  I suspect Arlo is no longer manufacturing the -10000S, but there likely still are some new ones out there.

kirstenem
Aspirant
Aspirant

This link:   https://www.arlo.com/en-au/accessories/VMA3600-10000S.html   

clearly states this :   "Only works with Essential Cameras."   

Then this link https://www.arlo.com/en-au/accessories/VMA5600-20000S.html is provided which states:  "Only works with Ultra, Ultra 2, Pro 3, Pro 4 and Floodlight Cameras"

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kirstenem wrote:

This link:   https://www.arlo.com/en-au/accessories/VMA3600-10000S.html   

clearly states this :   "Only works with Essential Cameras."   

Correct.  But the older Solar Panel for the Pro 3/Pro 4/Ultra was the VMA5600-10000S.  Not VMA3600-10000S.

kirstenem
Aspirant
Aspirant

Fair enough.. didn't notice that.   As of today my Pro 3 Floodlight is now offline and won't work at all so i'm stumped as to what to do...   It's incredibly irritating... especially when it worked well for so long... and that my other Pro 3 Floodlight doesn't have the same issue (yet it has the same setup!!)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kirstenem wrote:

Fair enough.. didn't notice that.   As of today my Pro 3 Floodlight is now offline and won't work at all so i'm stumped as to what to do...   

If you purchased in May 2021, then it is still under warranty.  So perhaps try contacting support (using the options in the app).

If you don't have a subscription, that will limit your support options.  But one workaround is to temporarily subscribe, and then cancel when the problem is resolved.

kr67mustang
Luminary
Luminary

Kristen-

I feel for you as I have this same Pro3 floodlight and also purchased the solar panel hoping to help with battery life but NOPE- Buying the 2nd Arlo product just created a 2nd Arlo problem.  Since removing it out of it's box nothing but problems. Battery has been replaced for not holding charge and still having same issue with new battery (with plenty of sunshine and hardly any recordings so should be charged) Battery indicator has been a bad issue as well- Other than that- I love Arlo

kr67mustang
Luminary
Luminary

Welcome to Arlo-

I look forward to hearing a reply to your question-

KR

kirstenem
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's frustrating because it worked perfectly for ages!   I have ordered a new solar panel (VMA5600-20000S) to see if this will fix it.   Using an outdoor cable to plug into a power point is not an option for the location.

I have also noticed that my OTHER Pro 3 Floodlight with a VMA5600-10000S solar panel attached - is not charging either.   It is online, and the sun symbol is visible, but despite the panel being in full unobstructed sunlight, the symbol remains grey.   It's worked perfectly for ages so i have no idea why it suddenly has an issue as well.

kr67mustang
Luminary
Luminary
Kristen- again, I am so sorry you are having to go though this. We buy a product (Arlo Security Video Camera) that you would hope and expect it to work out of the box from factory. I have owned my Arlo Pro3 Floodlight along with an added purchase for a Arlo Solar Panel for about 2 years and nothing but problems mainly with battery/charging issue- I have more service tickets open Arlo opened a separate department- Kristen-I wish I could fix and solve our what should be a very simple software/firmware update
kirstenem
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok well i got the ladder out and took down the Pro 3 Floodlight that was offline and once i popped the battery out and back in, it came back online.   Battery level said 63%.   I am currently topping the battery up via mains to around 95% before i put it back up and check if the solar charging now works or not.   I've ordered a new 'version 2' solar panel which will arrive tomorrow anyway.   The other Pro 3 Floodlight is now charging via solar again too.   it's all just weird!!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kirstenem wrote:

Ok well i got the ladder out and took down the Pro 3 Floodlight that was offline and once i popped the battery out and back in, it came back online.   Battery level said 63%.   

Sounds like a firmware bug (perhaps temperature related)?

kr67mustang
Luminary
Luminary
StephenB- You’re a genius. I’ve been saying this for over two years now
kr67mustang
Luminary
Luminary
Do not order another one. Thinking a new one is going to be any different you’ll be mistaken. The definition of insanity: “Repeating the same thing over and over expecting a different result”
Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation