Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Specific Questions for Non-Subscription

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
deloacda
Initiate
Initiate

All of my questions are in reference to not have a paid subscription, and the Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight. I have read complaints in the forum, and some answers that follow, but mostly round about comments/replies. So, for some questions it is hard to determine what the actual answer is. The questions below can be answered with a yes or no. If you have beneficial information to add on top of that then please do so. If you are going to tell me, I should have read the box then don't bother. These questions are after the fact questions. 

I have been in IT and troubleshooting for many years but am new to the security cam world. I do appreciate anyone willing to respond. 

Thank you for your time. 

1) If I get an Arlo local storage device, will I be able to set activity zones 

2) The error/notification “To enable Activity Zones, please connect your device to AC power”. If I get the magnetic charger will this correct the error, and I will be able to set zones without a subscription. 

3) Would it take a combination of the two questions above to set zones. (Local storage and magnetic power cord).

4) With the magnetic power cord will the camera still be functional while charging. 

5) If question 1 is possible (by itself), how does that magically take care of the AC power requirement.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Reading the various FAQs here are indeed a great way to learn about the system and how it works.

@deloacda wrote:

You don't mention whether you plan to subscribe to a plan. With a plan activity zone capability is possible. Without a plan you would need AC power for each camera with zones since the camera has to process the zone. Neither way has anything to do with cloud or local recordings.

2) The error/notification “To enable Activity Zones, please connect your device to AC power”. If I get the magnetic charger will this correct the error, and I will be able to set zones without a subscription. 

Yes, as above.

3) Would it take a combination of the two questions above to set zones. (Local storage and magnetic power cord).

No. Again, the location of storage has no bearing on zones. The purchase of a plan or not is what defines whether you need AC power.

4) With the magnetic power cord will the camera still be functional while charging. 

Outdoor charger, yes.

5) If question 1 is possible (by itself), how does that magically take care of the AC power requirement.  

It doesn't.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Reading the various FAQs here are indeed a great way to learn about the system and how it works.

@deloacda wrote:

You don't mention whether you plan to subscribe to a plan. With a plan activity zone capability is possible. Without a plan you would need AC power for each camera with zones since the camera has to process the zone. Neither way has anything to do with cloud or local recordings.

Yes, as above.

No. Again, the location of storage has no bearing on zones. The purchase of a plan or not is what defines whether you need AC power.

Outdoor charger, yes.

It doesn't.

deloacda
Initiate
Initiate

I did state at the beginning that the questions were in reference to not having a subscription. So, yes meaning never intending on having a subscription. Thank you for your responses. You have completely answered my questions. I am going to give this one to my sister(free) and needed to fully understand what it would take to make it function with no subscription. This product does function great (good camera and good connectivity), but the UI is limited and lacking. I will not be buying Arlo in the future. No bad feeling though it was a good steppingstone in getting started/figuring out how security cams work and how they function. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation