Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Kalie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have several Arlo Cameras. Including Indoor Cam. However I am unable to view or play my Floodlight Pro 3 videos in the ARLO.com portal log in. The videos are visible in the library. But when I go to play / view them, I get a message saying it is not able to play in my browser. I should download the video. I have Edge, Chrome, and Firefox. All windows browsers. The same message occurs for all. I have downloaded and installed the HEVC Video Extension.  Arlo also said to clear browser data. That did not help as well. What is the purpose of having ARLO cameras and ARLO systems, if I cannot view or play them on the ARLO web portal, in the library? I have no problem with the ring cameras and videos. Just the Floodlight Pro 3. I understand that ARLO is very aware of this issue. Yes, the computer, browsers, and everything is fully updated and current.

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kalie wrote:

The videos are visible in the library. But when I go to play / view them, I get a message saying it is not able to play in my browser. I should download the video. I have Edge, Chrome, and Firefox. All windows browsers. 

The causes here are either that

• your PC is too old to have HEVC accleration hardware
  • your browsers do not have hardware acceleration enabled

Firefox won't work, even on new hardware - it doesn't support HEVC.

Chrome will.  Edge supports it also, but it might require you to purchase the HEVC Video Extensions from the Microsoft store ( $0.99).

If you want feedback on whether your PC is too old, then you can right-click on "this PC" in windows, and let us know the processor used in your PC.

Kalie
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have windows 10 fully updated. 600mbps internet data wired. 16GB ram. We have installed the HEVC Video Extensions from the Microsoft store. If we download each and every Floodlight pro 3 video, we can view them. HOWEVER, we CANNOT play or view floodlight pro 3 videos in the library when logged into the ARLO web portal on the computers. Any computer. We can play and view all other videos from all other cameras. Just not the Floodlight pro 3. Makes one wonder.... what was ARLO thinking when they produced and sold a camera that customers are unable to play or view in their library when logged into the ARLO web portal on a computer. Seems to be a useless camera. Do not have this issue with RING cameras. As to the settings, I assume they are all on and available, as default. I don't typically look at and play with settings. One would think ARLO if very well aware of windows browsers such as Edge, Chrome, and Firefox, and would produce a product that is suitable and compatible with these browsers. Why would ARLO make a product that does not play well with all windows browsers? Looking at the various community discussions (most all now closed), it becomes clear, that ARLO is very well aware of this issue, and as of yet, has not provided a solution. Yes I can download and then view the videos, but who want to download each and every video, just to view them? They will not play in the browser from the ARLO web portal, even with the HEVC Video Extensions from the Microsoft store installed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kalie wrote:

We have windows 10 fully updated. 600mbps internet data wired. 16GB ram. We have installed the HEVC Video Extensions from the Microsoft store. 

First, the HEVC extensions only apply to Edge, not Chrome or FireFox.  

Second, you also need to make sure that

1. your PC has hardware acceleration for HEVC
  2. your browser has hardware acceleration enabled.

If you aren't sure about the PC, let us know the processor and I'll check.  You can find the processor by right-clicking on "this pc".

Chrome will play the videos w/o the HEVC extension if the PC has hardware acceleration for it (and it is enabled in the browser settings).  Firefox won't play them no matter what.

Kalie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes...browser has hardware acceleration enabled.  what was ARLO thinking when they produced and sold a camera that customers are unable to play or view in their library when logged into the ARLO web portal on a computer. Seems to be a useless camera. Do not have this issue with RING cameras. One would think ARLO if very well aware of windows browsers such as Edge, Chrome, and Firefox, and would produce a product that is suitable and compatible with these browsers. Why would ARLO make a product that does not play well with all windows browsers? Looking at the various community discussions (most all now closed), it becomes clear, that ARLO is very well aware of this issue, and as of yet, has not provided a solution. Yes I can download and then view the videos, but who want to download each and every video, just to view them? Seems we are being told that unless we have a "NEW" computer, the ARLO camera is useless. ARLO sells a camera that requires customers to have a NEW computer? Good thing Ring, and the others don't have the same requirement. What is ARLO doing to make a product and software that plays well with windows and windows browsers? So my option is to buy a NEW computer? That is arlo's solution?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, I can play the videos from my Ultra and Pro 3/Pro 5/Pro 5s cameras in my browser (other than on one PC that is over 10 years old).  Can you tell us what processor your PC is using?

One work around is to turn on the Auto Zoom and Track feature in the video settings.  That will  reduce the resolutin to 1080p and switch the video over from HEVC to AVC - which will play in your browsers.

HEVC video compression is more powerful than the AVC used at 1080p - giving about the same quality video at 1/2 the bandwidth (and file size).  Browsers have been slow to adopt it, due to the way the royaties for it were structured.  Though recently it has been gaining traction, with Chrome and Safari both adding support for it - the only mainstream browser that doesn't support it is FireFox.  The browsers do require hardware acceleration for HEVC in the processor though - that helps with the royalty mess.   Note I don't work for Arlo, so not responsible for any decisions they might make.

Kalie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Hardware Acceleration on.

I have installed the HEVC App ($0.99)

What I don't have is a brand new computer.

ARLO never stated that in order to use their Floodlight pro 3, customers had to go out and buy a new computer.

What was ARLO thinking? Everyone would rush out and buy a new computer in order to use their floodlight pro 3?

Can't help but notice, no one from ARLO has engaged in this conversation.

Perhaps ARLO should take notice that is issue does not exist for RING, or other cameras.

And they have yet to come up with a solution. ARLO has made and is selling a camera that does not play well with nor function with ANY AND ALL windows browsers.  See attached screenshot.Not Playable.JPG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe you missed the part that it's a BROWSER issue, not Arlo's. If the browser/computer doesn't support 2k and higher videos, there's nothing Arlo can do about it. 

Kalie
Aspirant
Aspirant

It. Nor did all of the others in the dozen or so community conversations. Point is, ARLO , not ring or the others, ARLO produces and sells a device that they KNOW, and are very well aware of - does NOT play well with or function with every known windows browser. And while ARLO is silent on this conversation (no help or solution), they are providing NO solutions or corrections to get their product to start working with windows browsers. That would help.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation