Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Floodlight Accessories

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Gunthermic
Tutor
Tutor

Anybody locate of know of say a Floodlight cover protector like the Arlo Ultra have etc. Something that gives the camera a bit of protection from rain?

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Given the size and shape of the floodlight, I doubt there's something available but I haven't searched. The question, however, is why you think you need it? I've had no issues with mine.

Gunthermic
Tutor
Tutor

Raindrops that collect on the lens. With a protection much like the Ultra Cameras provides a better picture for those that have it outside in the elements.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That will always be an issue with these cameras - 180 degree FOV requires that the lens stick out from the body so the view isn't cut off. A cover/skin can't help since to keep rain off the lens it would need to stick out, again, cutting into the view.

Repositioning the camera under an eave, pointing the camera down more and/or wiping the lens with something like Rain-X may help. Testing would be needed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

180 degree FOV

Small mistatement here - the Pro 3 floodlight has a 160 degree FoV.

@jguerdat wrote:

A cover/skin can't help since to keep rain off the lens it would need to stick out, again, cutting into the view.

FWIW, I think a hood over the lens area could potentially help.  But I've never seen one for this camera, and the form factor could make it tricky to attach to the camera body.  One general issue with skins/covers - if the moisture is wind-driven, they often aren't enough.  Also, they don't help with condensation at all.

I agree adjusting camera placement (and a treatment like RainX) are worth a try.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation