Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Chellebyerly
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • I am purchasing two bundles.  

I know with my old arlo system I had to have a hub.  Sadly, I can’t get most of my cameras to charge anymore-  all the batteries charge and will all work in my one working camera, but the other cameras won’t turn on 🤷‍♀️

So I picked out two bundles, neither of these bundles specify a hub-  so do I have to buy a separate one?  

or am I going to end up with two hubs buying these bundles?  

I am trying to spend less money-  but get what I want. 

my goal-  

floodlight with solar

doorbell (solar if possible) 

at least 2 cameras-  one will be outside, one inside-    

I picked one bundle with a door bell, 2 cameras and 2 solar panels 

one bundle is the floodlight and one solar panel. 

I chose to get the floodlight bundle because it didn’t look like the solar panels in the camera bundle were  compatible with the floodlight.  

am I on the right track or do I need to scrap this whole cart?  Add something else?  

thanks! 

IMG_2247.png

IMG_2248.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chellebyerly wrote:

my goal-  

floodlight with solar

There is no solar power option for the doorbell.  If you have an existing traditional doorbell at that location, you could potentially use the existing wiriing, chime, and transformer with the doorbell.  It requires 8-24 volts ac to trickle-charge.

Are you willing to pay for a subscription plan?   That would reduce your up-front cost.

The cheapest set of kit with a subscription would be

• Arlo Essential 2nd gen Indoor (US List of $39.99)
  • Arlo Essential 2nd gen outoor (US List of $49.99)
  • Arlo Second Gen doorbell (US List of $79.99)
  • Pro 3 floodlight (currently on sale in the US for $169.99)
  • VMA5600 Solar Panel (US list is $59.99)

The Essential cameras and doorbell are all HD (not 2K), which reduces the price.  Total (ignoring any bundle discounts) is about $400 USD.  The subscription cost in the US would be $12.99 per month.

Over half of this ($220) is for the floodlight.  While it is convenient, you could just get another Essential outdoor camera instead, and purchase a standalone solar-powered flooodlight (with no camera) from someone else.  That could save you over $100 on the equipment cost.  I don't own a standalone flood, so this is not a recommendation to go with separates.  I'm just pointing out the potential cost savings.

The essential cameras and doorbell do not currently support a smarthub.  Arlo has said they will add that feature, but not when.  After they add it, you could add a VMB4540 smarthub ($99.99) and drop  the subscription.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chellebyerly wrote:

my goal-  

floodlight with solar

There is no solar power option for the doorbell.  If you have an existing traditional doorbell at that location, you could potentially use the existing wiriing, chime, and transformer with the doorbell.  It requires 8-24 volts ac to trickle-charge.

Are you willing to pay for a subscription plan?   That would reduce your up-front cost.

The cheapest set of kit with a subscription would be

• Arlo Essential 2nd gen Indoor (US List of $39.99)
  • Arlo Essential 2nd gen outoor (US List of $49.99)
  • Arlo Second Gen doorbell (US List of $79.99)
  • Pro 3 floodlight (currently on sale in the US for $169.99)
  • VMA5600 Solar Panel (US list is $59.99)

The Essential cameras and doorbell are all HD (not 2K), which reduces the price.  Total (ignoring any bundle discounts) is about $400 USD.  The subscription cost in the US would be $12.99 per month.

Over half of this ($220) is for the floodlight.  While it is convenient, you could just get another Essential outdoor camera instead, and purchase a standalone solar-powered flooodlight (with no camera) from someone else.  That could save you over $100 on the equipment cost.  I don't own a standalone flood, so this is not a recommendation to go with separates.  I'm just pointing out the potential cost savings.

The essential cameras and doorbell do not currently support a smarthub.  Arlo has said they will add that feature, but not when.  After they add it, you could add a VMB4540 smarthub ($99.99) and drop  the subscription.

Chellebyerly
Aspirant
Aspirant

sorry!   
I never said. Thank you! 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chellebyerly wrote:

sorry!   
I never said. Thank you! 

No problem.  I'd glad it was helpful.