Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

iOS notification problems with VMB4000r3

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
savage_dave
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased the VMB4000r3 (Arlo Pro 2 5-pack w/base) from Costco.  Got it installed and configured and working no problem.  I've added three other 'friends' to the account, one as an admin. Within a week of setting it up, notifications on iOS (several different iPhones, all with the latest 2.5.5 app) do not work properly.  All cameras are set up to send notifications upon motion. I've repeatedly verified all base and camera settings, and even reconfigured and re-saved them all.  I've rebooted the base a couple of times (once seemed to work and get the notifications going again), and even deleted and reinstalled the app on my phone. I've rebooted my phone, I've signed out and back in to the app.  Nothing seems to do the trick.  Occassionally I'll get an alert (typically after a reboot or a change of some sort on my phone or the base or both), but mostly they've stopped altogether.  I've contacted support via web chat and they were less than helpful, giving me zero suggestions.  They've opened a ticket, but I can't say that I'm confident anything will happen.  The last thing I can think of is to power cycle the base, which I will do tonight.

Anyone else experience anything like this with iPhones?

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

savage_dave,

Power cycling the base is a good start. Another thing to note, especially when using the app on multiple devices, is to keep in mind that in order to receive a push notification the app must be logged in and running on the desired device.

Is there any trend with the push notifications failing? Is it happening on specific accounts or only the primary account (or both)? Is it only happening when your mobile device is connect to a specific network or mobile data connection?

JamesC

savage_dave
Aspirant
Aspirant

Appreciate the reply, James.

It has happened on each device, sometimes on wifi, other times on a cell connection.

Questions for you - you said, and I've read this elsewhere, that the app needs to be logged in and running in order to receive notifications. 

1. That appears to be a limitation of the app, as other apps send notifications while not signed in or open. 
  2. Doesn't the login session timeout when left open after a period of time, which would leave me without notifications unless I actively re-open and sign in?
  3. If I leave the app open on my device, it locks and I need to sign in or use my fingerprint to open it ... does that count as signed in or signed out?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

savage_dave,

Unless you explicitly log out of the app or force close the app, the session should remain active even when the app is minimized, this is what is needed for push notifications to be sent.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation