Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I see Arlo updated the iOS app today. I’m reluctant to download and try until I hear from others!
101 REPLIES 101
paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Has anyone been getting black screen thumbnails when app is loaded? Just started happenings on my iphone6s last couple of days. Always happened on iPad but now has started with IPhone. Running 2.7.1. Only happens on pros. Qs load up ok.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@paddos wrote:
Has anyone been getting black screen thumbnails when app is loaded? Just started happenings on my iphone6s last couple of days. Always happened on iPad but now has started with IPhone. Running 2.7.1. Only happens on pros. Qs load up ok.

I’ve been seeing those on all of our iOS devices since 2.7.0.  I believe they are related to the overall performance degradation that came with the 2.7.x updates.  Also I see white thumbnails in my library and those images take a very long time to load.  Sometimes the app crashes before they load.  For me, the camera model doesn’t matter.  It seems to be related to the device order.  Top cameras display and cameras further down the screen are black.  Often they appear over time.  Not always.

Have you added any devices?  I have 35 devices (owned or shared) and I assume Arlo doesn’t see this because they may not have test environments set up with large numbers of devices in mixed modes like this for stress testing.  If they did, they’d see the problems before we do.

BillRin
Tutor
Tutor

While I do get black thumbnails on my IPad Air 2, everything works fine on my IPhone 6  I am using version 2.7.2, but they also worked on my iPhone 6 with version 2.7.1

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@BillRin wrote:

While I do get black thumbnails on my IPad Air 2, everything works fine on my IPhone 6  I am using version 2.7.2, but they also worked on my iPhone 6 with version 2.7.1

I just double checked my iPhone XS and 11” iPad Pro.  Neither has black thumbnails when I start that app now.  That is new.  Perhaps with 2.7.2.  However, my iPad app still locks up for about a minute and is unusable until that time has elapsed.  Then it works.

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
@AncientGeek

I have 10 cameras on three separate base units.

Your observation is right. The black thumbnails are always the last on the device order. See it consistently on iPad ... just started to see it last few days on iPhone.

Has any Arlo site admin acknowledged this issue? @JamesC
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@paddos wrote:
@AncientGeek

I have 10 cameras on three separate base units.

Your observation is right. The black thumbnails are always the last on the device order. See it consistently on iPad ... just started to see it last few days on iPhone.

Has any Arlo site admin acknowledged this issue? @JamesC

I believe I have an open case related to this, but it never hurts to open another case.  Arlo CS tried to call me a few times, but I’m travleing and asked to communicate via email.  After that, communication on the case ceased.

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @paddos and @AncientGeek , are you both seeing the black thumbnails when using 2.7.2 or 2.7.4? (Both versions should have this fix)

Please advise if the issue is not resolved after installing either of these updates.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@ArloAlex wrote:

Hi @paddos and @AncientGeek , are you both seeing the black thumbnails when using 2.7.2 or 2.7.4? (Both versions should have this fix)

Please advise if the issue is not resolved after installing either of these updates.

My black thumbnail problem appears to have been solved by the V2.7.2 of the iOS app.

My performance problem remains.  My 10.5” iPad Pro running V2.5.5 takes less than 10 seconds to start up and become fully functional.  My 11” iPad Pro takes about 45 seconds to reach the same state and my wife’s iPad Air 2 takes about 1.5 minutes to get there.  Very slow.

I also think the un-watched video count is overstated, but I haven’t done an exhaustive proof of that.  It just seems like the numbers are very high compared to what they should be.

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Good to hear, @AncientGeek . 

Re: your comment here (which is similar to observations that others have made):

My performance problem remains.  My 10.5” iPad Pro running V2.5.5 takes less than 10 seconds to start up and become fully functional.  My 11” iPad Pro takes about 45 seconds to reach the same state and my wife’s iPad Air 2 takes about 1.5 minutes to get there.  Very slow.

Yes - we are fully identifying the root causes of this issue, and we'll be erradicating this bug in a future release. It will definitely be resolved...thank you, again, for everyone's patience in the meantime.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@ArloAlex wrote:

Good to hear, @AncientGeek . 

Re: your comment here (which is similar to observations that others have made):

Yes - we are fully identifying the root causes of this issue, and we'll be erradicating this bug in a future release. It will definitely be resolved...thank you, again, for everyone's patience in the meantime.

Thank you Alex.  I greatly appreciate the concentrated push to identify and squash these issues.  I’m not sure how we got here, but I’m glad we are leaving!  Hopefully, root causes in the design and development proceses are also being identified, documented and resolved proactively so these types of issues don’t get out the door again in the future.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I misspoke...I’m actually on V2.7.4 of the Arlo iOS app.  I didn’t realized we had already jumped up to that.  I have most of my platforms on auto-update so I’m using the latest version.  Only my 10.5” iPad is on manual updates.  I went through a lot (erase and restore from backup) to get that device back to V2.5.5 after the V2.6.0 release broke so many things, that I’ve keep it as my “control device” for comparing new versions ever since.

BillRin
Tutor
Tutor

Unfortunately I still have black thumbnails and a 30 second delay with app ver 2.7.4 on my iPad Air 2. My iPhone 6 working fine on 2.7.2. 

To be clear, the black thumbnails do not revert to snapshots. They stay black. 

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for checking back in with this, @BillRin . This is not going to be the optimal solution, but for the black thumbnails, can you try un-installing and re-installing the app on your iPad Air 2?

When I experienced the identical issue on my iPhone (but not my iPad), we did just that and the issue was resolved. 

Please report back with your findings so I can update our developers, particularly if re-installing fixes the issue (as we believed we had squashed that particular bug in 2.7.2)

BillRin
Tutor
Tutor

Alex,

Reinstalling the app worked!  Thank you. Black thumbnails are gone. Even the 30 second delay is down to about 10 seconds and completely acceptable. Thanks again. 

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for the update, @BillRin ! This will help us make sure we fully eliminate the black screen bug...and your feedback on the app now loading faster is also interesting.

Please do let me know if you see those loading times creeping back up. We are actively working on squashing that bug now, so if you see it come back, that is going to be helpful. 

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

@AncientGeek - I would like to ask a favor (and if you've already tried this without success, my apologies for missing it earlier in the thread) - can you please delete and re-install the Arlo app on your wife's iPad Air 2?

And, upon re-installing and re-signing in, does the latency in load time of the app change?

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
@ArloAlex

Thank you for the follow up. 2.7.4 does seem to eliminate the consistent black screen seen on high camera count systems. Like mentioned by @AncientGeek, load time on IPad2 is still long .... 40 seconds.

Really appreciate your responsiveness. Hope we can prevent releases with issues going forward. Best
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@ArloAlex wrote:

@AncientGeek - I would like to ask a favor (and if you've already tried this without success, my apologies for missing it earlier in the thread) - can you please delete and re-install the Arlo app on your wife's iPad Air 2?

And, upon re-installing and re-signing in, does the latency in load time of the app change?

Will do.   I did this on my 11” iPad Pro last night and I think the startup time improved a bit.  I just did a mental count and I think my time one this device dropped from around 45 seconds to around 35 seconds.  Compared to less than 10 seconds on my 10.5” iPad Pro running V2.5.5.

Also on my 11” iPad Pro.,  while getting status, after a few seconds the thumbnails shift on the screen.  Columns 1 & 2 shift right and column 3 moves to the far left ...effectively becoming column 1, but that column also shifts down a fraction of an inch on the screen, so it is out of alignment with the other two columns horizontally.  This may be related to device count.  It doesn’t happen on my wife’s iPad Air 2 displaying perhaps 30 devices, but it does on my 11” displaying 35 cameras.  It also does NOT happen on my 10.5” iPad Pro running V2.5.5.

676D9DDF-F83D-4EF3-8EAC-4771A48978F6.jpeg

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@ArloAlex wrote:

I deleted and reinstalled the app on my wife’s iPad Air 2 today.  (She said, why are you doing that? You have already done that before.). New version...must try again.  Anyway, this appears to have made a significant improvement.  I mentally counted 45 seconds versus a previous delay of 1.5 minutes and often a crash before it loaded.

Keep going, you are on the right track.

Also related to startup, I noticed that the IR LEDs flash on at least one of my Arlo Pro 2 cameras every time I start the new app.  I have an Arlo Pro 2 facing a Logitech Circle 2 Camera in my office.  Whenever I start the new Arlo app, I get a notification from the circle and when I view the video, I see the Arlo IR LEDs flash.  I wondered if that is normal, since it would seem to be a waste of battery to do that every time the app starts up on any of our mobile devices.

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for spotting this bug, @AncientGeek ! I'll take note of it for our teams. 

If you rotate your 11" iPad Pro to portrait orientation, then rotate back to landscape orientation, does this resolve? Or do you see similar column issues in portrait orientation?

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@ArloAlex wrote:

Thanks for spotting this bug, @AncientGeek ! I'll take note of it for our teams. 

If you rotate your 11" iPad Pro to portrait orientation, then rotate back to landscape orientation, does this resolve? Or do you see similar column issues in portrait orientation?

The column misalignment remains when I rotate to portrait mode and remains when I rotate back.  Columns also exhibit the misalignment when I start the app up in portrait mode.

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Does anyone know why all snapshots taken when viewed in library you get message ... video not viewable because device not hevc comparable ...

Not a video but a snapshot and all videos can be viewed so why does this message come up on all snapshots. Know what hevc is but message doesn't make sense to me.

@ArloAlex
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@paddos wrote:
Does anyone know why all snapshots taken when viewed in library you get message ... video not viewable because device not hevc comparable ...

Not a video but a snapshot and all videos can be viewed so why does this message come up on all snapshots. Know what hevc is but message doesn't make sense to me.

@ArloAlex

I saw that same error message a few times,  I don’t recall which of my mobile devices I was using at the time.  I recall thinking it was a bogus message because I could either view the image or download it and view it in spite of the error message.  I forget which it was.  Perhaps if we give Arlo very specific information on hardware and software models and versions where this shows up, they will be able to fix it.

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
@AncientGeek

Message ... video not viewable because device is not hevc compatible. ... appears 100% of time when a "snapshot" is recorded to library. Click ok and message clears and snapshot is viewable. Message does not appear with video. Using iPhone 6s running 10.3.3 and Arlo app 2.7.1. @ArloAlex
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero
iOS 10.3.3? Why so far back?
Discussion stats