how to use Arlo Pro2 power cord for Arlo Pro 4/5 cameras

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
plgill99
Initiate
Initiate

A few years ago, I purchased the Arlo pro2 cameras and installed a hard wire power supply cord for each one.  They have been working great.

But now, I want to upgrade to the new Arlo pro 5 cameras (to get 2K video and 5G Wi-fi speed). The problem is the power connection on the Pro 5 (on on camera end) is different (than the Pro 2). Therefore, I cannot just use my existing wired power supply cord that is already there at each existing camera location.   The Pro 5 uses a magnetic charging attachment while the Arlo Pro 2 uses a micro USB connector.

It is now impossible, given some construction we have done on our home to run a new power cord to the camera locations.  And, I know they have a battery, but it is not realistic to keep going up on a ladder that high to recharge the battery continually.  And, a solar panel will not work either. 

Is there some type of adapter or converter that exists to convert the Arlo Pro 2 power supply cord micro USB connector to be able to fit the Arlo Pro 5 camera magnetic charging attachment?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@plgill99 wrote:

Is there some type of adapter or converter that exists to convert the Arlo Pro 2 power supply cord micro USB connector to be able to fit the Arlo Pro 5 camera magnetic charging attachment?

Unfortunately Arlo doesn't provide one.

Something like this would let you connect the existing microUSB connector to the Pro 5 cable:

But the Pro 5 cable (and this adapter) are intended for indoor use.  Still might be ok if the cabling is protected from weather.

Obviously you should test this first, to make sure it works as expected.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@plgill99 wrote:

Unfortunately Arlo doesn't provide one.

Something like this would let you connect the existing microUSB connector to the Pro 5 cable:

But the Pro 5 cable (and this adapter) are intended for indoor use.  Still might be ok if the cabling is protected from weather.

Obviously you should test this first, to make sure it works as expected.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@plgill99 wrote:

But now, I want to upgrade to the new Arlo pro 5 cameras (to get 2K video and 5G Wi-fi speed).

FWIW, the connection speed won't matter since the bitrate is low enough that almost any connection would work.

Also, @StephenB 's link isn't working for some reason.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Also, @StephenB 's link isn't working for some reason.

Try this one:

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Thanks - that works although I'm not sure how it work. Perhaps using it "backwards"?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Thanks - that works although I'm not sure how it work. Perhaps using it "backwards"?

Plug the existing microusb connection into the connector, and plug the USB-A connector of the magnetic cable into the other end.  

There is no "backwards" - not sure what you mean by that.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Normally I would use the "A" end as the input, not an output, hence "backwards". Since it's just wiring inside there's no such thing as in and out - both connectors are both types.

plgill99
Initiate
Initiate

I suspect there’s a lot of people in my situation that have old Arlo cameras, and they would like to upgrade.  if I were the folks at Arlo, I would make a 1 foot cord that has a female micro usb connection on one side and the magnetic power connection on the other side.  That would make it incredibly easy to upgrade your cameras.. 

The way things are now I don’t think I’m going to upgrade.  and when I do, since I have to re-run a new power line, I’m gonna switch camera vendors. 

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation