Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Woodpecker attacked my Pro 2 camera and put a hole below the lens...

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
Turnkey56
Tutor
Tutor

Has anybody had any trouble with woodpeckers? One attacked one of my cameras and put a hole in it just below the lense.

24 REPLIES 24
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

No but that's a cool story. Sorry about your camera.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Do you have any pictures of the birds in action?

You could try selling them!

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
kjd8135
Tutor
Tutor

One Pro 2 camera was attached by a woodpecker three times in one week.  angry woodpeckerangry woodpeckerdamaged Pro 2damaged Pro 2anti bird reflector discsanti bird reflector discs

Uhhello
Tutor
Tutor

**bleep** woodpecker got mine today.  Won't let me upload the video but he was hammering away at it for a solid 45 minutes.  

Kktracy3
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry about your luck but that’s freakin hilarious and the picture is awesome. 

bonz66
Initiate
Initiate

Same thing happened to mine.  Put a hole in the smoked plastic under the lens.  I think they are attracted to the IR light.

ColdnFrosty
Initiate
Initiate

IMG_3001.jpeg

One got mine as well. It's no longer detecting motion. Too bad they used plastic and not glass. Is this sensor a replaceable part?

Trevor12
Initiate
Initiate
Open to suggestions. I have had the Arlo pro 2 for a few years but recently we have had woodpeckers find interest in the cameras. They have actually punctured many holes in the soft plastic over the motion sensor. I am open to suggestions on how to maybe fix or protect the last 2 cameras. I have cut acrilic to cover the front of the soft plastic but I know may affect the sensors distance or block completely. Will be testing the distance once the adhesive dries. I looked everywhere for a replacement housing but can not find it sold anywhere. Does anyone else have issues with the soft plastic? It seems like it maybe a design flaw with how easy it is to puncture and scratch.
Gdela
Tutor
Tutor
I have had the same issue with woodpeckers and my Arlo Pro 2 - Is anyone aware of Arlo coming up with a solution for this? These aren’t cheap cameras.
kjd8135
Tutor
Tutor

Capture1.JPGCapture.JPG

I haven't seen a woodpecker since September! These anti-bird reflective disks work great. Found them on Amazon.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Gdela

An animal attacking a camera is far from arlo's fault so don't see them  doing anything they could or would do about it. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@dcfox1 wrote:

An animal attacking a camera is far from arlo's fault so don't see them  doing anything they could or would do about it. 

That thought had occurred to me. What the heck can Arlo do to protect these things from, say, bear attacks?

Arlo could advise on protection strategies, but I bet there is someone out there willing to see a 'pecker-proof enclosure.  Maybe something designed to keep squirrels off of bird feeders would work.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
dcfox1
Master
Master

Yea, On rings forum someone posted a vid of a bear attacking the cam. Had some serious teeth marks. 

ColdnFrosty
Initiate
Initiate

They replaced mine. Arlo isn't the only manufacturer to have a woodpecker issue. They could remedy the situation with a glass lens rather than plastic.

Turnkey56
Tutor
Tutor
They replaced mine also it was only a month old at the time. There are a couple LED lights on the camera to if there was a way to turn those off maybe birds wouldn’t think that it’s a bird. Yes if they made the the whole front of the camera of a high impact plastic rather than a soft plastic that’s what the birds poke right through
Gdela
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try those out!

I also have Ring outside, The peckers have not attacked those! 

Gdela
Tutor
Tutor

I appreciate your response!

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@ColdnFrosty wrote:

They replaced mine. Arlo isn't the only manufacturer to have a woodpecker issue. They could remedy the situation with a glass lens rather than plastic.

A glass lens? lolol a woodpeckers beak can bore holes in oak trees what do you think he would do to a glass lens. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

Exactly they are are like hitting something with a mini jack hammer Glass would easily  crack it if not break it. 

Planting666
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here! He put a hole in the lens and now he moved on to a second camera. I’ve had 4 attacks so far from the woodpeckers caught on video so far. The first attack knocked the batteries right out of the device
Turnkey56
Tutor
Tutor
I bought a plastic owl on Amazon and mounted that above my cameras that seemed to work. There are also a birdhouse type mount I saw on amazon that also might work for you. It is very frustrating to say the least .
Gdela
Tutor
Tutor

image_123927839.JPGI ordered these reflectors through Amazon. And they seem to work this camera and the one in the back have been tagged by the Peckers...they still work and will not replace the cameras, unless they stop working.  They’re not cheap and I wish Arlo would have a solution for this, such as a case with some type of protective acrylic see through cover. Hope this helps!

ArloWatcher
Luminary
Luminary

Was wondering why one camera stopped detecting motion. When out to find it also had been attacked by a woodpecker. Camera still works, just no motion. I set up a near buy camera to start this camera to start also. Have to see how this works.

If they can make Cell Phone Screen Protectors, how about Arlo Camera Protectors!

dcfox1
Master
Master

@ArloWatcher wrote:

If they can make Cell Phone Screen Protectors, how about Arlo Camera Protectors!

I would assume  it would interfere with the sensors in the lens unlike a Cell phone screen. There are covering but not for the lens and sensors itself. 

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation