Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

BretD
Arlo Employee Retired

Arlo Pro 2 1080p Wire-Free Security - Q&A and SweepstakesArlo Pro 2 1080p Wire-Free Security - Q&A and Sweepstakes

Submit your Arlo Pro 2 Question to enter to win an Arlo Pro 2 kit! – Please include “Arlo Pro 2” in your Subject and ask us in the form of a question.

Due to volume new questions have been disabled, please reply to this thread to enter the sweepstakes for the Arlo Pro 2.

*Update 10/25 - Entries for this are now closed. Stay tuned for our winner announcement.

*Update 11/21 - Congratulations to @Jammynick - Their name was chosen at random from all valid entries. Enjoy your Arlo Pro 2!

We know you have questions! It’s your chance to ask us anything about our newest Arlo - 1080p Arlo Pro 2 Security Camera!

Visit the Arlo Pro 2 details page to learn all about the Arlo Pro 2.

See the Arlo Pro 2 Questions already submitted. - We have disabled new topics. Reply to this thread to enter the sweepstakes.

-Good Luck - We look forward to answering your questions about Arlo Pro 2 1080p Security Camera!

Questions and entries end 10/24/2017

Official Sweepstakes Rules.

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.
266 REPLIES 266
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

ec2 wrote:

1. Does the Pro 2 use the same battery as Pro 1?

2. Does the optional solar panel count as 'ac power' for the continuous recording? Or does it just trickle charge the battery?

3. Whatever the source that counts as a/c, what happens if you lose ac power but were set up for continuous recording? Will Arlo Pro 2 default to a backup limited-time motion capture setting like Arlo/Pro typically does? If not, what does happen?

4. The Pro 2 will have activity zones; will Zones be a feature that is finally provided to the other editions of Arlo camera? 

5. As other posters have asked, will there be any way to upgrade (or get a discount) to Pro 2 if you already own Pro 1?

1) Yes.

2) No for counting as AC power, yes for trickle charge.

3) Loss of power falls back to battery power so only battery-powered features will work, such as loss of CVR while motion detection will use the PIRs and record according to your settings.

4) Nothing has been announced so no way to tell.  I highly doubt it partly because of the power requirements.

5) As posted elsewhere, no.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Montana1 wrote:

Has there been any field testing to determine if steam from hot tubs affect the camera operation or battery life?

I like your style!  😄

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Marbleman12 wrote:

can multiple Arlo pro 2 cameras be viewed at the same time on my samsug smart tv?

The only way to use a Samsung Smart TV for this is to use the built-in web browser as if you were on a computer. Live view won't work due to the lack of Flash.

took46
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is that distance of motion sensor?

TesDaBest4Life
Aspirant
Aspirant
With the new Arlo pro 2 is there going to be a setting where you Can turn cameras off and on (Zones) without having to run a schedule / mode/rule in a certain area ?
Kenya
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am interested in purchasing the Arlo pro 2 cameras with base station. In some reviews the base station will go off-line occasionally and you have to manually reset it which makes it difficult if you are away has this problem been fixed?  And the battery in the cameras is it a sufficient amount of power to run the cameras if there is a power outage and for approximately how long?

cgartner54
Initiate
Initiate

I am excited by the new version of Netgear's Arlo product.  If it is as dependable and well built as Netgear's great wireless routers, Arlo security cameras would be a great investment for use in both office and home applications.  The kit being offerred would be VERY valuable to win.

Montana1
Tutor
Tutor

If I hard wire one camera on the Arlo Pro 2 and use battery power on the other, can I still receive the additional benefits of the Pro 2 on the one camera?

topdog7950
Aspirant
Aspirant
Will be new Arlo pro to have an HDMI output you know to hook up to any TV or video. That way I can monitor just by looking at my television screen. It will be very to have that. Also if it had audio output to that same TV or video. Since I am retired engineer and disabled I have to be able to monitor things very quickly if I do not have my phone near me if I get an alarm in any of my zones. Thank you
Fricke
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I upgrade my 5 Arlo Pro cameras to the new Arlo Pro 2 cameras? If so how much would it cost? 

64-geek
Initiate
Initiate

Hope for wifi beyond smartphones, i don't own one.

dauberman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will the Arlo Pro 2 cameras be ONVIF compliant? 

hiosilva
Tutor
Tutor

Does the camera and base require WiFi to function?  We want to locate one at the entrance to our neighborhood where there is no WiFi.

hiosilva
Tutor
Tutor

I see that the camera can start recording upon motion detected up to 23 ft away.  what if I want to see and record a parking area that is farther away?

bradmcgonigle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can the Arlo Pro 2 use the same skins as the Arlo Pro or has the camera form factor changed?

Posborn
Aspirant
Aspirant
Win arlo pro
fishpoo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have three greenhouses located in New Hampshire. We experienced high temps this summer around 112 F in the higher areas of the houses, though the plant growing areas were no more than 7 F above ambient (~95 F).

I am looking to use the Pro2 in the greenhouses to monitor production and after-hours activity. I have an Ethernet drop in the houses, and the nearest building is off limits for installing the base station. I need to know if the base station will function properly under these conditions, as well as the cameras. We maintain daytime relative humidities around 50%, though nighttime humidities can reach 100% easily. With changing/extreme temps and humidities, many electronics have short lifetimes. How will these units do?

It's worth noting that my intention is to mount the cameras at higher elevations (where temp extremes are a little higher, but not much) to gain a broader view, but the base station would be around the crop level.

Thanks for the help!
KimBuckles
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been very interested in buying the Arlo Pro for a while.  I purchased the Arlo basic model and was very underimpressed with the lack of sound capture and the lag in recording capability.  A lot of the replies to these worries were about placement, which is not always achieveable. 

Have these issues been addressed with the new Arlo 2?

I had the Nest for a while and it had no problems in this area.  It recorded wonderfully and sound quality was fantastic, however I do not want to pay for cloud storage.  I have been watching Netgear to see if these issues have been addressed so I can buy.   

CuriousJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is the arlo pro 2 compatible with the latest wireless technology 5ghz frequency with 802.1ac? That way you get better bandwidth and speed if it is closer to your router and utilize both 2.4ghz and 5ghz dual bands. This would help with delay or lag due to the larger files of the 1080P HD..
Tom06
Apprentice
Apprentice
Will added features work outside if camera is powered by netgear outside power adapter? Why would Camera have to inside for the a/c powered features to work?
Adam22686
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is the base station an upgraded base station or the same one that comes with the old arlo pro kits? If so what are the improvements?
Biggamefish44
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is the Arlo pro 2 Compatiable with the older models? Can you just add it to an Arlo pro that already has cameras?

ckong
Initiate
Initiate

The Arlo Pro 2 camera obviously has new features. I was hoping the included base has new software and therefore new features.  Are there any noteable enhancements as viewed from Arlo's web interface?

(In particular, I'm interested in SMB/FTP/TFTP/SFTP access to the locally attached USB drive.  If the base is running a variant of Linux, then it should be easy to turn on any of these file transfer protocols with read-only rights.)

Chuckwagon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Apprentice
Apprentice

Will the cam record 24/7 outdoors using a solar panel?