Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 2 mounting and bad night vision

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Ianwelch001
Guide
Guide
Just bought and installed my arlo pro 2 camera set up. My first question is based on mounting. Attached are views from the cameras and wondering if where I have these mounted looks appropriate.
Secondly it rained last night and the night vision was horrible. I have the cameras mounted under the eve of my roof.
Another issue I'm getting is the camera detected traffic in the street better than someone pulling into my driveway or walking up the driveway. I realize the motion detection is only supposed to be about 20-25 feet and I drew a red line where the camera finally detects motion.
7 REPLIES 7
Ianwelch001
Guide
Guide

armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice
Those white washed pictures are pretty bad. My Pro2 cameras don’t have that particular issue, must have been a good production batch I’m thinking.

Seems like the seal around the lens may either have a bad seal or reflecting IR light. Both of which are caused by crappy manufacturing lens materials to say the least. Not sure how Arlo will dig itself out of this one, but I’m hoping a firmware fix is released soon. Otherwise, it won’t be just the outdoor adaptors that they pull out of the market....

JamesC, there are too many people complaining about this issue. I understand that you have raised to engineering for review, but most everyone is still within the return period. Tell your folks to think about that as they take their coffee breaks...

In the meantime, I’m sure engineers are fully focused working on the 4K version of Arlo3.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ianwelch001,

Changing the angle of the camera may help with the motion detection issue you describe. Try to angle the camera downward to eliminate the street from the cameras field of view.

Is there any other cameras or lighting nearby the camera that is having issues with Night Vision? Could you provide a screenshot of where that camera is mounted?

JamesC

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

Im sure we would all love to provide a screen shot if everyone's videos were not removed from the cloud. So all videos or screen shots are not there to provide as it is now day time. And the Arlo cloud is having an "outage".  My back yard is pitch black and the night vision is very hazy and not very clear, my original Arlo Pro was very clear and looked more realistic and clear. 

Ianwelch001
Guide
Guide
Gotta love coming home to this
MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is a night shot of the back yard, very grainy and washed out, cant really tell any details of the things back there. The arlo pro 1 was the complete opposite of this clarity. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I am working with the engineering team to collect information on this issue. They have requested we try a couple different things to see if you experience any different behavior:

-Try another pro 2 camera in the same location.
-Try the pro 2 camera in a different location without any adjacent walls/ceiling near the camera.

-If you have a skin on the camera, try with and without the skin.

Please let us know the results and if possible provide screenshots.

Thank you,

JamesC  

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation