Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

Occasionally I deal with certain cameras buffering when I watch them live.

I'm thinking that my WIFI needs to be improved?

Do any of you use WIFI extenders? Do they improve the signals from the cameras?

Pros, cons?

If there is a particular model that works well for you?, which one is it?

10 REPLIES 10
Dannybear
Master
Master
Before you consider an extender you should prove that the wifi is the cause of the buffering.
Move affected cameras closer to the base to see if it improves. Move the base away from the router for same.
Check the live streaming with another pc device or mobile.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billkex wrote:

Do any of you use WIFI extenders? Do they improve the signals from the cameras?

The Pro 2 cameras connect directly to the closed WiFi in the base station - and that cannot be extended.

It is possible to use an extender to move the base closer to the cameras.  You use the extender to extend your home wifi, and then connect the base to a LAN port in the extender.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

Correct me if I'm wrong: WIFI extenders won't help if the camera(s) are too far away from the base station?

WIFI works from the router to the base station, ...not from router to the cameras?

The camera signal strength is between the Base station and the cameras, right?

So, to improve the signal strength for the cameras that are too far away from the base station, would adding another base station closer to those cameras help?  (connect those cameras to that base station)

Thank you!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billkex wrote:

The camera signal strength is between the Base station and the cameras, right?

Correct.

@billkex wrote:

WIFI works from the router to the base station, ...not from router to the cameras?

The closed WiFi works from the base to the cameras.  Normally the router is connected to the base via ethernet. 

However, a WiFi extender can be used to allow the base to be placed where it is difficult to run an ethernet cable.  Powerline ethernet can also be used for this.  Basically the extender (or powerline) is used as a "bridge" to get ethernet to the right spot.

@billkex wrote:

So, to improve the signal strength for the cameras that are too far away from the base station, would adding another base station closer to those cameras help?  (connect those cameras to that base station)

Yes.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

Is there a limit on how many base stations you can use?

I want to use 3.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billkex wrote:

Is there a limit on how many base stations you can use?

I want to use 3.

No limit I am aware of.  3 should be fine.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

After I connect the base station to Arlo, link the cameras to that base station, then locate an area to plug in that base station for electricity, What do I do to connect it to my WIFI if I cannot run a Ethernet cable through my house to that new base station, what do I use?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billkex wrote:

if I cannot run a Ethernet cable through my house to that new base station, what do I use?

A WiFi extender - there are many options.  Two (of several) are

Or powerline (again, two of several):

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

Okay, I think I understand now......

The WIFI Extender is for getting the WIFI signal from the router to a base station, that has been purposely placed closer to the cameras, so that you have a stronger camera signal from the camera to the base station.......right?

I was thinking I needed a stronger WIFI signal  from the router to the cameras.  (wrong)

I need stronger signals from the cameras to the base station.

And this is where the WIFI extender comes in, unless I run an Ethernet cable through my attic, etc. to that base station.

Please correct me if I'm still wrong.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billkex wrote:

Okay, I think I understand now......

The WIFI Extender is for getting the WIFI signal from the router to a base station, that has been purposely placed closer to the cameras, so that you have a stronger camera signal from the camera to the base station.......right?

Yes.  

You end up with router -->-- wifi link -->-- extender --->--- ethernet link --->--- base station.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation