Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Will Solar Panel work with Pro 2? Charging from Solar Panel improve accuracy?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
steve_jp
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I have 3 Arlo Pro 2 cameras (outside VMC4030P) and I currently have one Arlo Smart subscription to make use of Activity Zones while on battery power for one of the cameras as it is at the front of the house and without activity zones cars passing would trigger it.

However I have noticed that the accuracy of activity zones while running wirelessly is not very good, and when looking at the app I can see the motion sensor get triggered a LOT, it is not recording video too often as the smart setting is for people only but I do get a few random motion tagged videos. I have done some testing, and if I plug the camera into a powerbank (like used for charging mobile phones) the camera charges but also then considers itself to be plugged in and the accuracy improves dramatically. The motion sensor no longer triggers when cars pass and the number of incorrect videos drops to maybe 1 a day.

So the question is twofold.

1) Will the solar panel VMA4600 work with pro 2 cameras as the website only lists Pro, not Pro2.

2) Will the charging from the solar panel effectively make the camera think it is plugged into external power, and therefore improve accuracy and in theory also remove the need for a smart subscription as you need smart to use activity zones when wireless.

I am guessing the answer to question 2 is yes when there is sun and it is charging but no when there is no sun and therefore not charging.

Anyone have any experience with this setup or these kinds of problems?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) The solar panel works with the whole Pro series.

2) No. The panel is a trickle charger while the AC wall plug supplies much more current required to run the camera stream continuously.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) The solar panel works with the whole Pro series.

2) No. The panel is a trickle charger while the AC wall plug supplies much more current required to run the camera stream continuously.

steve_jp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks very much for the clear answer.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation