Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 27 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Bigjimmy
Tutor
Tutor
Hey Arlo/Netgear,
Why no Apple HomeKit support For Arlo Pro 2?
11 REPLIES 11
Jzad77
Tutor
Tutor
I completely agree. It's totally ridiculous this has not been implemented by now. Why are you giving iOS users the finger?
tomnye1
Guide
Guide

It is really weird that they haven't come out with this yet.  This can be done through an update with Apple's new software authentication.  I mean, this seems like an easy decision.  Who woudn't want to be able to turn off alarms based on motion in your bedroom in the middle of the night or to ask siri to turn off the alarms.  Seems so easy to pull this off???  When Apple required a chipset, it was understandable as to the delay.  But now...it's just software.  

StretfordEnder
Apprentice
Apprentice
Although Apple have relaxed the requirements to become HomeKit compatible in terms of allowing a software authentication option, Apple has nevertheless added fairly onerous encryption requirements. Most smart devices don’t contain chipsets with sufficient processing clout to deal with the encryption requirements and hence will never get HomeKit approval without upgrades.

Don’t hold your breath on this one if you want my honest opinion.

But what I will say is it is very remiss of Netgear NOT to include HomeKit functionality in Arlo Pro 2. I suspect it will come back to haunt them unless they believe they can pass the software authentication requirements in due course.

But for those of us with Arlo Pro 1 and older systems I don’t think we’ll ever get it.
Jkizzy
Initiate
Initiate
It’s not Arlos fault. As of this time Apple HomeKit only supports the Logitech Circle 2 wired camera and the D link wired camera. Arlos platform is wirefree and apple doesn’t support battery operated cameras at this time. They are looking to support it in ios12. Hope this helps you out!!
tomnye1
Guide
Guide

That doesn't make any sense at all.  In fact, Arlo just released the Baby Arlo with Homekit support.  I am continually dismayed at the lack of transparancy companies show loyal customers.  Why not give us a timeline?  Why not at the very least tell us that it is in the roadmap.  I have witnessed this disdain for customers from Amazon, regarding bringing Prime to Apple TV as well as Chamberlin releasing their promised Homekit to their garage door openers.  To Chamberiin's credit, they realized how badly the bungled things and actually offered many people free solutions when they finally released the Homekit solution.  

The situation with Netgear is not as bad as Chamberlin's...but it's similair in that they don't care enough about their customer base who have spent up to $1000 on their cameras, to give us any direction on what's going on with Homekit integration.  I have 6 cameras now and will need about 4 more cameras in a couple months...but I"m not spending one more cent until we get some direction on Homekit. 

I actually was offended that they released the baby arlo with homekit.   Why do that with absolutely no guidance on when it's coming to Arlo Pro?  It's a disdain for their customer base...it's really the only way it can be explained.  

The only thing left for us to to do, is to do what I did.  I sold my Netgear stock and I will not buy anything else from them until there is respect shown for their customers.  I don't think we are asking for a lot here...respect means at least communicating a plan for Homekit.  It's been nearly 2 years of crickets

Tom

Jkizzy
Initiate
Initiate
Yeah I understand what your saying the baby’ monitor is a hard wired camera that’s why it’s able to use the home connect. I’ve been researching for a couple weeks now ever since I purchased the HomePod. I want everything to be HomeKit connected. Yes Apple should provide more insight as to why they don’t offer support to wire free WiFi cameras but you know how that goes. They just want the consumers money and that’s it. Customer service from these expensive tech manufacturers is horrible!!
tomnye1
Guide
Guide

I did not know that the Baby Arlo was not wireless.  Interesting.  I have also never heard about the Apple restriction as being the issue...can't  find an article online with a quick search that says that. But, even if that is the case, then why not articulate that to the customer base.  Again, wasn't asking for the world.  I'm asking Netgear to provide guidance on their products in whcih we've spent a lot of money. 

If what you are saying is true, it sure woiuld have been more benefiical for Netgear to share this, rather than angering it's base and people like me who have stopped spending money on anything Netgear and sold their stock.  Doesn't matter if it's Netgear, Apple or Amazon...more transparency with an increasingly more sophisticated user base would go along way.

StretfordEnder
Apprentice
Apprentice
Until last year Apple required HomeKit compatible products to be equipped with a specific HomeKit authentication chip. Many manufacturers found it cumbersome and expensive to have to do that and hence forewent Apple HomeKit compatibility.

Now with Apple relaxing that requiring and instead permitting software authentication, things have become a little easier but there are still requirements to be met. Certainly the issue of wireless seems to be rearing its head although I’m uncertain why.

However it would be good for Netgear to confirm one way or another their plans for Arlo Pro and Pro 2 in this area.
tomnye1
Guide
Guide

I have been looking into this.  I don't think what you are saying is accurate.  Apple Homekit doesn't support wireless protocols...that is correct, they rely on WiFi or Bluetooth.  But the Arlo cameras can communicate to the Arlo Base in any protocol that they want...each camera does not have to communicate with Homekit.  In other words, the cameras themselves do not have to be homekit compatible and can communicate anyway it wants to the Arlo Base.  The Arlo Base needs to communicate with your homekit hub...which is easy to do.  Easy for Arlo Base to software authenticate to the Homekit Hub via ethernet.  So...in the end, we are again in the position of asking why there is no visibility into Homekit integration.  

If I'm wrong about this...maybe an Arlo engineer can answer the question.

StretfordEnder
Apprentice
Apprentice
My understanding is Apple have laid down specific requirements for security cameras to be HomeKit compatible but I am uncertain of the specifics.

You’re right in what you say - your HomeKit hub would only have to connect to the Arlo base which is both mains wired and Ethernet wired to the net. But it maybe the fact the cameras are not mains powered which is the issue for Apple. It maybe that HomeKit doesn’t have the relevant protocols to communicate with Arlo. Remember HomeKit works independently of any specific provider apps. It may not offer the full functionality that way but that’s how it is.

But the fact of the matter remains a Netgear engineer could knock this thread on the head in seconds with either a “yes we can do it” or “no we can’t”.
Muadib
Tutor
Tutor

Yes agree. Seeing discussions going back over two years speculating about Homekit compatability. A definitive answer would be most welcome.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 27 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation