Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Why have subscription if I only want communication between base and camera to store locally?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kenri
Guide
Guide

I wanted to add a 6th camera to my base station I found that I can setup the camea the system but in order to turn it on ot says I have to have a subscription plan for that camera. I wanted to use the 6th camera just to communicate between the 6th camera and the base unit storing the video on the USB plugged into the base. I was suprised to find out that without a subription for the 6th camera I can't even turn it on. Since subscriptions are usually tied to storage, My question is why would I need a subscription if I only want communication between the base and the camera to store video locally and not store video externally? 

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Because the system is cloud-based. The USB storage is just a backup device in case the Internet goes down for some reason.

Kenri
Guide
Guide

@jguerdat wrote:

Because the system is cloud-based. The USB storage is just a backup device in case the Internet goes down for some reason.

I would think that I should still be able to turn on the camera and just not be able to record.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation