Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BB2018
Aspirant
Aspirant

Put the Arlo Pro 2 outside directed toward front door and driveway to garage.  For a test I drove up the driveway into the garage.  The Arlo Pro 2 started recording when I was 3/4 of the way into the garage.  There was no evidence that I drove onto the driveway.  Is this normal?  Is there maybe something I missed on setting it up?  Please help.  That delay is long enough for someone to come up to the front door take a package and leave without any proof they were there.  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It depends on positioning and sensitivity setting as well as the object. A car can be detected a long ways away due to reflected IR from the sun and/or heat generated by the engine. A person doesn't have that signature so can only be detected out to maybe 25 feet. In addition, the camera has to determine there's motion, turn on and connect to the servers so there's a 2-3 second delay at best for recording to start. Use of AC power to the camera provides a 3 second lookback so you can see action leading up to the time where motion was detected (the camera will always be streaaming).

Positioning is key so you get what you REALLY need. Do you really need to record the car entering the driveway or do you want to detect people coming up to the door? A typical problem is trying to get too much in the view - concentrate on what you really need. If that's not sufficient, a second camera could be useful for a variety of reasons, including the use of one camera to trigger recording by another.

Post a screenshot with a description for suggestions.

b1o3o
Apprentice
Apprentice
Get used to that delay. There’s no going around that unless you subscribe to their CVR plan. And even that is problematic esp if you have data cap (streaming 24/7 will eat all your data)
BB2018
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is the screen shot.  But I have figured out the Edit rules.  I only have granted access, so I could not change anything.  However, I am experiencing darkness in the Night Vision.  I was wondering if the ledge in this screen shot is causing some sort of reflection at night which makes it dark.  Thank you for all of your help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I see a placeholder for the screenshot but not the usual one that's used for an unapproved image. Can you host it somewhere and provide a link or just share a video from the library and post the link here?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation