Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

I am about to replace my Arlo Classic setup, with Arlo Pro 2 and am hoping that range (from camera to base) has been improved.

My question is how do all three of the Arlo models compare in terms of distance.  I understand that things/interference "affect" distance and am not asking about that.  This question is simply comparing all three as to which has the best - given all environment conditions are equal.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master

The range is pretty much the same regardless of the system.

If you need coverage in an area too far from the base then seeing that you already have a base, use the second base in a different location and sync it to the cameras closest to it.

You will then have a 2 base system and multiple cameras which can be made to work all using the same app. using the grant access feature.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Streak2
Master Master
Master

The range is pretty much the same regardless of the system.

If you need coverage in an area too far from the base then seeing that you already have a base, use the second base in a different location and sync it to the cameras closest to it.

You will then have a 2 base system and multiple cameras which can be made to work all using the same app. using the grant access feature.

mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

But in many scenarios, adding another base isn’t possible. I’m trying to reach out to our gate at the road and with my old Arlo Classic, it barely reaches.  I’m hoping to add 10 more feet to the distance with the newer Arlo.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's possible there could be small differences - only testing would tell.  A small (or large) repositioning of the base could be useful and a second base that's protected but as close as possible to that camera might be the best way to accomplish your goal.

mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

I susspect Netgear could really cash in on releasing a repeater for the Arlo Base station.  Something I could plug into an electical outlet that would also be weatherproof. This technology has been out for years and even Netgear sells them for "regular" networks/routers.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

They already do - it's a second base station.

doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Second base station requires an Ethernet connection if I'm not mistaken.  The repeater would connect via wifi back to the base station which I believe is what mhnatt is looking to accomplish.  The wifi signal still has to get there assuming the repeater would be placed near the camera.  The only advantage may be the repeater having a larger antenna and more transmit power than the camera.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, a second base still needs an Ethernet cable.  However, use of an exisitng powerline or WiFi extender easily provides that.

doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Excellent point!  I totally forgot about powerline adapters.  And that is a great solution.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Sometimes one “can’t see the forest for the trees”.

😊

mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

I think some folks are confusing the difference between a Wifi range extender, repeater, booster and access point.

The following is what's known as a WiFi Range Extender (which happens to be made by Netgear by the way)

NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Essentials Edition (EX2700)

It is a tiny box ($30) about the size of two decks of cards.  It doesn't require Ethernet, nor powerline adaptors or any kind. It simply takes the incoming WiFi signal and using power, repeats it, essentially doubling the distance (not really double, but you get the point).  You just plug it into an any outlet, including an outdoor outlet if protected, and now your distance is increased (though latency is doubled - but for the purpose of security cameras, latency isn't really a concern).

Again, no buying a big honking 2nd base unit and running Ethernet all over the place.  Guys, this is simple.  Why not an Arlo Extender?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's certainly possible but we don't know enough about the Arlo WiFi to spit at to make appropriate comments. How would the security be possibly compromised?  How would people confuse a normal extender with an Arlo one and create support issues? How would the difference in price between an extender and a base affect anything? How would performance be affected? And anything else we don't know about.

armoredsaint
Apprentice
Apprentice

i have always been disappointed in the range, i have a 4700 sqft home with all the cameras outside and most are 1 bar. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This would be a good case for multiple bases so they can be positioned for best connection to the various cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation