Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What camera models support direct Wi-Fi ?

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
sshyran
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi everyone,
Couldn't find this in KB section, so...

What camera models support direct Wi-Fi connection with router ?
11 REPLIES 11
dcfox1
Master
Master

The Pro4, Pro3 floodlight (not Pro3 spotlight) and Essential series cameras do. I think the older Q indoor cams do if they aren't discontinued but can't say for sure. 

sshyran
Aspirant
Aspirant
@dcfox1 , could you please post a link to page / file with all discontinued/unsupported Arlo products, to compare with what I have on my table...
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sshyran wrote:
@dcfox1 , could you please post a link to page / file with all discontinued/unsupported Arlo products, to compare with what I have on my table...

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/docs.aspx

The original WireFree, Pro, and Pro2 cameras in your model list do not support direct connection to your home wifi. I believe the older Arlo Q and Arlo Baby products do support a direct home wifi connection (but I don't own either).

The Arlo Go connects to a mobile network, so it doesn't use a base (and doesn't use your home wifi).

sshyran
Aspirant
Aspirant
@StephenB, thank you for that link, but it seems to show entire list of cameras available, with no "discontinued" markings (or I just don't see them while surfing from mobile), is there any way to recognise what products are discontinued from that list? Any special labels or tech announcements in News section of this website ?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sshyran wrote:
 but it seems to show entire list of cameras available, with no "discontinued" markings 

AFAIK, Arlo doesn't provide a list of discontinued products.  

It can be a bit tricky to communicate, as Arlo continues to support pretty much everything (other than the original VueZone cameras), and distributors/retailers often do have inventory of older products they want to sell.

But people do ask, so it would be good if they did provide more information on this.  You could put this in the idea exchange.

As far as cameras go, the Pro 3 Floodlight, Pro 4, Ultra 2, and Essential lines are definitely current (and are the only cameras that show up on the US Amazon "Arlo Store".  

sshyran
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks everyone for a good input.
Could anyone who own Arlo cams (with direct wi-fi capabilities) describe the process of connecting such camera directly to a router, and what router features get involved during initial setup ?
p.s. - only personal xp please, as info in .pdf is way too broad, thanks.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sshyran wrote:

Could anyone who own Arlo cams (with direct wi-fi capabilities) describe the process of connecting such camera directly to a router,

It's been a while since I added one (most of my cameras are connected to a base).

Generally you enter the wifi network name and passphrase, and the app (or web ui) generates a QR code.  You aim the camera at the QR code, and the camera then joins that network.  It can be a tricky to find the right distance from the screen, since you can't see exactly what the camera is picking up.  The camera will chime when it connects to the network.

The camera needs a 2.4 ghz network, and you probably should disable network access controls (mac address for instance) if you use them.  

The main gotcha is that the mobile apps sometimes find it hard to discover the camera after it joins the wifi network.  Arlo hammers on making sure the mobile app is also connecting with 2.4 ghz - but the fact is that is normally not possible with a modern router (which uses same network name for all bands, and often has no controls to disable any).  So you often need to ignore that instruction.

I still was able to use my mobile phone.  But if you run into this,  you can also add the cameras with the web interface using a PC browser (ideally with the PC is connnected with internet).

sshyran
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey, @StephenB that's really good peace of information. Could you please describe in a bit more detail, what sort of (or exact) app are you talking about here:
"Generally you enter the wifi network name and passphrase, and the app (or web ui) generates a QR code. " ?
Any links to such apps, please ?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sshyran wrote:
"Generally you enter the wifi network name and passphrase, and the app (or web ui) generates a QR code. " ?
Any links to such apps, please ?

It's the Arlo app - available for Android and iOS in their respective app stores (free).  

If you use Apple, you'll need at least iOS 11.  If you use Android, you'll need at least Android 5.

The web interface is https://my.arlo.com

sshyran
Aspirant
Aspirant
yep, that works, thanks

p.s. - does anyone know howto log into VMB station's admin settings through lan or wi-fi? I see it in my wi-fi list but can,t connect through my phone with arlo app installed... is there any way to do that if I don't have my app with me, or phone is off?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sshyran wrote:
p.s. - does anyone know howto log into VMB station's admin settings through lan or wi-fi? 

You need to either use the app or use my.arlo.com in your pc web browser.  Arlo has it locked down, so you cannot access settings directly.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation