Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
andyboymiller
Tutor
Tutor

I had set up local storage on my VMB500 base station and set up port forwarding to successfully view video clips outside the network (like from my phone. Switch internet providers from Centuryt Link to WeLink using Eero router. I cannot get the port forwarding to work. Any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@andyboymiller wrote:
I had set up local storage on my VMB500 base station and set up port forwarding to successfully view video clips outside the network (like from my phone. Switch internet providers from Centuryt Link to WeLink using Eero router. I cannot get the port forwarding to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Based on Reddit reviews, WeLink uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT).  https://www.reddit.com/r/Welink/comments/stnz0u/how_is_welink_doing/

Advanced extra details: Welink uses "Carrier-Grade NAT" - and all of the people in your area share one ip address. This caused issues for me trying to host some services like remote access to my home, so they gave me a Dedicated IP address (can cost an extra $10/mo) that resolved all of my issues.

Carrier-Grade NAT (CGNAT) doesn't allow port forwarding or inbound VPN connections, so remote access will fail.  Options are to switch back to your old service, or see if you can get a dedicated IP address from WeLink (as the reviewer I quoted did).  

Though if you end up paying $10 a month for the IP address, you might be better off just getting Arlo Secure (or Secure Plus if you need 4K).

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation