Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
revangel
Star
Star

After today's firmware upgrade, the wifi signal of my 5 out of 6 cameras decreased from Maximum (3 bars) to Average (2 bars).

Although they seemed to be working, I would like to know if Arlo development team adjusted this signal bars or if they changed anything with the wifi power for the base station.

I have two base station - one with 3 cameras each. Is this an expect behavior from this firmware?

Tks,

Renato

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team identified an issue with the accuracy of the signal strength icons and resolved the issue in the latest app updates. The icon should now more accurately reflect WiFi signal strength based on the environment.

JamesC

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
TheWolk
Apprentice
Apprentice

After 1.14.1.0_2909_bfcf6c2 Firmware update for VMB4000 Base Station, Wi-Fi Signal Strength Level Indicator no longer works correctly in either Web or App.

Now for all cameras, regardless of the actual distance between camera and base station, I see two out of three points shown as if it is hardcoded to a “average” value instead of using the actual reading. While the issue appears to be cosmetic, it is no longer possible to see true reading of the signal level when re-locating cameras. At this point, I’m not even asking why do we keep eFing-up what works…

Arlo developer asks Apple developer: I seem to have an error in my code… where could it be? – It’s in your DNA!

rhart211
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same base station that was just updated to 1.14.1.0_2909_bfcf6c2 Firmware update. I'm seeing the same type of activity as TheWolk regarding the wifi signal. I'm also seeing that cross triggering is no longer available. The rules that belonged to my Armed mode, used to have the ability to trigger recording on 2 cameras when motion was detected on 1 camera. That functionality no longer is available in the Apple iOS app, Android app, nor at my.arlo.com. Please add this functionality back.

I also noticed that in the Android app, the rule names for the Armed mode don't appear for all of the rules. 

Please update what ever you changed and bring back cross triggering functionality and fix the rule name issue in the Android app.

dhung
Apprentice
Apprentice

I must be lucky or what to see it happend

one of my site's Arlo got updated to 1.14.1.0_2909_bfcf6c2, then two out of the three camera lost connection to the updated base station, after a soft-restart, all 3 camera are back on-line. then I noticed those two camera that failed to connect after the firmware update, have wirelss signal indicator to show only 1 bar (yellow), one is right next to the base station and the 2nd one is only 5 meters away.

did antoher soft-restart, all went back to normal............... BUT

looks like it screw up Geofencing, and I saw someone reported camer won't trigger/record anything

Jeff_Spencer
Initiate
Initiate
Update has taken away all the custom modes.
Plus the ability to for a camera to have multiple triggers.
Example. When camera 1 detects motion , then camera 1 record, and chime and turn arlo light on.
Chime and lights can not be triggered or can not adjust sound for chime.
Help
Locutus73
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same here, all cameras with two of three WiFi points and no more cross triggering; add to these problems no more HomeKit button in the base station details and Doorbell not reporting any battery value in the iOS app.

1.14.1.0_2909_bfcf6c2 is a total mess with VMB4000r3.

Netgear please rollback firmware immediately: it’s a security device, new firmware and software should be released after it’s been tested to death.

Thank you.

Regards. 

countrykilo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Arlo Pro 2 and I have 3 cameras, 2 chimes, 1 doorbell, and 1 base station. I had the front door camera configured to have the chimes go off with the Home presence siren to alert anyone in the house that motion is detected at the front door. But now all of my modes have been deleted and when I go to try and setup new modes I dont even have the option of adding that back. I've tried from my Android phone and through a web browser and nothing works. Everything worked perfectly fine until August 31st. Now my devices have a signal drop. I have 1 chime plugged directly into the same outlet that my base station is in and that chime shows 2 bars. Like how could this possibly be its literally 6 inches away from the base station???

countrykilo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same Firmware vestion and I have the Arlo Pro 2 and I have 3 cameras, 2 chimes, 1 doorbell, and 1 base station. I had the front door camera configured to have the chimes go off with the Home presence siren to alert anyone in the house that motion is detected at the front door. But now all of my modes have been deleted and when I go to try and setup new modes I dont even have the option of adding that back. I've tried from my Android phone and through a web browser and nothing works. Everything worked perfectly fine until August 31st. Now my devices have a signal drop. I have 1 chime plugged directly into the same outlet that my base station is in and that chime shows 2 bars. Like how could this possibly be its literally 6 inches away from the base station??? 

TheWolk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looks like a new firmware: "1.14.1.1_2913_78b189a" was pushed out on 09/02/2019... I do not use any custom modes or rules so can't state if that was fixed or not but WiFi signal level indicator is still broken.

DaveO6
Star
Star

The Community has gone crazy since the firmware upgrade. Complete shambles, no support and a pretty poor response from Netgear who don't seem to have a clue what is wrong. I can only guess that the Developers have been pushed to get this firmware released "because the Customers need it"....NO! What Customers want is reliable software so test it properly first.  

Netgear just want to push this code out to meet deadlines and save money and damn the Customer. 

They need to do the right thing and roll back the software because this is so bad it is going to be full of bugs forever.

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

Anyone else getting audio alerts even though it’s off. My alerts and recordings are filling up with Audio only alerts. This firmware or what ever this company is doing behind the scenes is making the system unusable. 

Live tried reboots, removing and adding camera, new modes and it’s just not working right.

TheWolk
Apprentice
Apprentice

If that isn't much of a trouble, could you please check if Wi-Fi Signal Level indicator is working for you correctly with Firmware version 1.14.1.1_2913_78b189a ? I’m still getting two bars regardless of the distance between camera and base station. Thank you.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@DaveO6 wrote:

The Community has gone crazy since the firmware upgrade. Complete shambles, no support and a pretty poor response from Netgear who don't seem to have a clue what is wrong. I can only guess that the Developers have been pushed to get this firmware released "because the Customers need it"....NO! What Customers want is reliable software so test it properly first.  

Netgear just want to push this code out to meet deadlines and save money and damn the Customer. 

They need to do the right thing and roll back the software because this is so bad it is going to be full of bugs forever.

Your comment is way too logical and customer-centric. How long before Arlo moderators remove it lol.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@TheWolk wrote:

If that isn't much of a trouble, could you please check if Wi-Fi Signal Level indicator is working for you correctly with Firmware version 1.14.1.1_2913_78b189a ? I’m still getting two bars regardless of the distance between camera and base station. Thank you.

My wifi strength indicators are doing the same. And I wouldn't care if the system was stable, relible, and this was only a cosmetic issue. The reality is that the system is unstable and unreliable, and this is one of many bugs coming to the surface.

I've said it before, Arlo should clean house with their development team (website still uses Flash!) and bring in a handful of people who know what they're doing to re-code this system from the ground up.

DoNotBuyArlo
Star
Star

I rather wish developers and management get fired. Time to get rid of these useless monkeys.

Jimmie_Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Getting so frustrated after many test and troubleshooting and technical support calls but no solution.

* B.S location located in the garage and distance from B.S to 2 camera is around 15-20 ft.  Front porch and top of garage door.  Last August wifi signal was 3 bars.  Sept. 1 arlo sent the new firmware to fix the screw up firmware on Aug. 30.

Until now the B.S wifi signal is 2 bars.  (same location)

Here is my troubleshooting: 

1. Test the TP-Link wifi extender signal has 5G connection from Asus Router.  Download speed = 173 Mbps Upload = 32.3 Mbps.

2. Removed the camera battery = 2 bars

3. Moved the B.S outside the garage and tested open area (no walls) =Signal 2 bars

4. Performed B.S factory reset and complete the setup again = Signal 2 bars

Live view and delay is the same as before.. not that bad.  B.S sometime offline

Why the 3 bars wifi signal drop to 2 bars.  Why ???

Here is the other way to reset B.S & Wifi extender.  Install the TP-Link smart plug and using the powerline extention.

Reset the B.S & wifi extender via from the Kasa app away from home.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The development team is investigating reports of this issue. We'll be sure to update the community when we hear any new information or update. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jimmie_Arlo wrote:

Are you seeing any problems with corrupted (or dropped) recordings?

Or you just worried about the loss of a bar?

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

@Jimmie_Arlo wrote:

Are you seeing any problems with corrupted (or dropped) recordings?

Or you just worried about the loss of a bar?

Personally I'm worried about the lack of testing before firmware releases and the general instability of the system - the WiFi signal strength indicator is another example. Not sure why you gave such a snarky reply to his question. We're fed up with the excuses and Arlo not fixing the plethora of bugs.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mamarcac wrote:
Not sure why you gave such a snarky reply to his question. 

It wasn't intended to be "snarky".  It was intended to tease out if there something seriously wrong or not.

Just losing a bar should probably be looked into, but isn't urgent if recordings and live streaming are working reliably. 

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
Has anyone noticed lower cameras signal strength with new app? All cameras are still in same spots and distance from base station as before, however signal strength now showing only two bars, on every camera even on the ones only a few feet away.
Two cameras always had three bars before, something is different with new app.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's been a number of similar comments about this. I agree - the strength indicators aren't working as before.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

There's been a number of similar comments about this. I agree - the strength indicators aren't working as before.

True. 

But if you aren't seeing any performance issues (corrupted recordings, connection drops), then it's not a big deal.  So check for that.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Strangely they work ok with the iOS app. It can be misleading when camera distance from base station doesn’t affect the indicator either way. Once you know it’s not working properly you end up ignoring it.

TheWolk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just wanted to post an updated on the status of this issue:

As of 09/21/2019 Wi-Fi Signal Strength Level Indicator is again working correctly. Thank you Arlo Team for resolving this problem!

Discussion stats