Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4000: Your Base Station could not be discovered

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
jdubeau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, purchased a new Arlo Pro 2 off of Amazon in 2018. Brand new, just removed plastic.

Issue: Your Base Station could not be discovered.

Model#: VMB4000

OS/environment: android app & desktop my.arlo.com

3-LED Base Station: seems typical, starts as Power (Amber) and then goes to Power (Green), Internet (Green w/ intermittent flashing), Camera (Amber)

Network: VMB4000 is confirmed in my network map (using Linksys router)

Based on other help articles, I have attempted a few things already:

- Following in-app & arlo website's troubleshooting guide (i.e., plugging in ethernet port before power, doing the network scan in the app finds nothing)

- Multiple 10+ Factory resets (waiting for amber lights)

- Switching cables and ports on router with a known good cable/connection

- Forcing Phone & Desktop onto 2.4ghz wifi (including temp disabling 5ghz band altogether)

- Closing Router firewalls and Windows Firewall

Should the Base Station also have a Wi-Fi connection showing in my network map maybe?

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jdubeau wrote:

Should the Base Station also have a Wi-Fi connection showing in my network map maybe?

It will - but that is locked down, and only used by the cameras.  So you cannot join it.

Can you connect the PC to the router with ethernet?

If you use a VPN, then disable it before onboarding.

jdubeau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, StephenB. 

Yes, my default PC connection is via ethernet. I tried that way at first, and also tried switching to wi-fi, and finally to 2.4ghz only wi-fi (disabled 5ghz in router tools).

No VPN is enabled.

Edit: in case helpful, I also see NTG-VMB_(string of numbers) in my Wi-Fi list. I'm guessing that's the aforementioned camera Wi-Fi!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jdubeau wrote:

I also see NTG-VMB_(string of numbers) in my Wi-Fi list. I'm guessing that's the aforementioned camera Wi-Fi!

Mine show ARLO_VMB_xxxx, but they are newer bases (and running current firmware).  Since yours is old, it likely hasn't updated to current firmware yet.

Did you try the paperclip reset?

Normally your symptoms are because someone else has the base station in their account.  Did you purchase new in 2018?  Or was this refurbished (perhaps from the Amazon store)?

jdubeau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again.

Is there some way to force the firmware update possibly? That feels like it might be the issue. 

I have tried the paperclip factory reset over 10 times, holding it down long enough to get the three amber lights flashing. For good measure, I also tried a couple times holding the reset down for close to a minute or various lengths of time. 

I triple checked my Amazon receipt and it confirms New condition - not refurbished. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The firmware is unable to be pushed to the VMB4000. An update will be coming soon, however I do to have an exact ETA. I will provide more information to the community as soon as possible. 

jdubeau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, BrookeN. Glad to hear.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation