Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Obviously, Arlo has decided they don't care about the endless rants/complaints/bad reviews for their products, now that two-step verification is no longer optional, but you'd think they'd at least try to make it better somehow? Don't know what the solution might be, other than letting us turn it off "at our own security risk," but this ain't working.

Half the time I don't get the verification code, half the time I get it when the time limit is already expiring. In addition, when I'm traveling, GETTING the code depends entirely on my connection/network wherever I might be. So, even when Arlo DOES send something, if I'm not in the exact right spot, I might not get it.

Arlo makes me log in with a password to see my account. Why is that any different from requiring a password to see my cameras? If you're going to require something, at least let us set it ourselves so we're not dependent on YOUR servers to see OUR cameras. As I've said before, the whole point of a security camera is instant access . . . that's something that ARLO won't offer.

6 REPLIES 6
dcfox1
Master
Master

This is confusing. Are you talking about on a phone or computer? Once you made a phone a trusted device you don't have to do it again, Computer yes but not every time. If you log in on another device it will log you out of another if the same account if that's what you're talking about, 

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Combination answer . . . logging on to my computer, logging onto my ipad, logging onto my other phone. I don't always have my primary phone sitting on my lap but usually have access to my messages and email on other devices. I want to look at my cameras and should be able to without the two-step verification.  I've had a couple of occasions in the last few days where neither a text verifications nor an email verification have come; I've had a couple of verifications that have come AFTER the two minutes.  There's no reason this system has to have two-step verification. If they claim it's for security, then require a self-set password or code. If that's good enough to protect my account, it's good enough to let me see my cameras.

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

By the way, even though I use the same computer and browser, I'm CONSTANTLY asked to verify it when I try to log in to see my cameras. This morning, and yesterday, the text with the code never came and I had to try again with email. (The email came right away this time though that's not always the case.) Each time we're talking up to 5 minutes to see what's happening . . . more than enough time for whatever's happening to be finished happening.

My biggest complaint, and I'm aware that Arlo has never actually replied to anyone's questions about this stuff, is why having to enter THEIR code is significantly different then me having to enter MY code. You trust my account information with a password, why isn't that good enough for the cameras that are protecting my house AND why, if it's a liability issue, don't you offer a legal waiver and allow us to turn off this flawed system?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arseasttle wrote:

is why having to enter THEIR code is significantly different then me having to enter MY code. 

When you use their code, you are proving either that you have access to your phone, or that you have access to the specified email account. Security folks generally think that is stronger security than simply having two passwords for the account (which is what your idea amounts to). 

Though you could debate that I guess, Arlo isn't going to budge on this. 

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

StephenB 

But that's part of my point . . I don't always carry my phone with me every second of the day. And sometimes I want to check in on my cameras, just to see what's going on around the house or, perhaps, inside the house, and shouldn't have to wait for a code.  When I'm visiting family, maybe I want to check on a trusted computer but one that doesn't have my email on it.  The point is, this should be MY choice when it comes to security. Like many others before me on this topic, I would not have purchased the Arlo cameras if this was in effect at the time. It partially cripples a system that, in the worst of times, needs instant access.

By the way, I received my one-time authentication code text at 9:38am this morning. However, it was little over an hour before that -- I was lucky to get an email that time around -- when I tried to log in with my AUTHENTICATED browser. By no one's definition could you call that security!

tecmate
Aspirant
Aspirant

I set up my ARLO system to monitor the outside of my home and carport. In ARLO there is an option to 'Share' the Video & Audio with (others or mobiles or other computers) built in which is what I use when I am away. I also use VPNs to curb Tracking and other Password Protection programs which also are dongle based which gives perfect protection with a military based program with up to 512 bit encryption enabled. No entry without dongle.[Paranora?]

From what I have found, it is impossible to 'Disable' Two-Step Verification which corrupts my system making me go through hoops every time I login for access via mobile or my travel computer/s.

I have to go through hoops as I cannot be at home to activate & login into ARLO and have the dongle sitting on my ARLO Home computer and another dongle with me in my travels which makes a mockery of keeping the home secure.

NetGear has a lot to answer for.

NetGear ARLO may soon be gone as will be all my other NetGear routers, hubs and storage devices.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation