Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 2 camera can’t be found by base because of dual bandwidth wifi

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Technopeasant
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have dual bandwidth wifi (2.4 & 5) modem/router.
4 of 5 identical cameras have been working fine with this modem/router for a long time. The 5th camera ran out of battery charge and I needed to reconnect it to the Arlo base.
Comcast says devices automatically “choose” the appropriate bandwidth and they don’t recommend “splitting” the bandwidths.
This model of Arlo ONLY connects on 2.4 bandwidth.
Why is 1 of the 5 identical cameras not automatically able to be found by the base when other 4 cameras ARE connected and working fine since a long time?
The offline camera has blinking blue and amber lights. Per instructions, I removed the camera and tried to.add it back but the base says it cannot find the offline camera, although I have followed all instructions and all the relevant lights on both camera AND base are blinking the way they should.
Why is only 1 of 5 cameras unable to “find” and connect to the 2.4 bandwidth while the other 4 cameras can?
I no longer qualify for a live agent, and this particular issue is nowhere on the web that I can find, so very disappointed with Arlo support (or lack thereof).
Best answers
  • jguerdat
    Guru
    Guru

The Pro 2 cameras have nothing to do with your WiFi - it uses the dedicated WiFi from your base.

The alternating blue/amber flashes usually means a firmware update is occurring. It may be that an update attempt failed. Have you pulled the camera battery, let is sit for a minute and tried again?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro 2 cameras have nothing to do with your WiFi - it uses the dedicated WiFi from your base.

The alternating blue/amber flashes usually means a firmware update is occurring. It may be that an update attempt failed. Have you pulled the camera battery, let is sit for a minute and tried again?

Technopeasant
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have disconnected and reconnected charging cable, left the battery out for days, left it charging for days - nothing works. The Arlo online instructions get to the point where the base is trying to “locate any near Arlo device,” but then fails to find the camera and reports that nothing is found. Does it need a new battery. The EXPENSIVE batteries say they are for Arlo Pro 3 - couldn’t find any specifically for the Pro 2.

Also, what is the difference between the Pro j2 VMB4000-3 [Firmware: 1.16.2.5_3508_62daff0 [(“no updates available”)] — Version: 2.181.(619). [released 6/30/20] and the
Arlo Pro 2 Smart Camera VMC4030P, recommended by Consumer Reports?
Thanks!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Technopeasant wrote:

Also, what is the difference between the Pro j2 VMB4000-3 [Firmware: 1.16.2.5_3508_62daff0 [(“no updates available”)] — Version: 2.181.(619). [released 6/30/20] and the
Arlo Pro 2 Smart Camera VMC4030P, recommended by Consumer Reports?

I don't understand this question.  The VMB4000 is a base station, the VMB4030P is a camera.  

I suspect Consumer Reports tested a system that included both, but I'm not seeing the details on their web site.

@Technopeasant wrote:
I have disconnected and reconnected charging cable, left the battery out for days, left it charging for days - nothing works. 

1. Are you seeing any LEDs light up on the camera when you insert the battery?
  2. Have you tried on-boarding from a PC (browse to my.arlo.com).

@Technopeasant wrote:
The EXPENSIVE batteries say they are for Arlo Pro 3 - couldn’t find any specifically for the Pro 2.

Pro 3 batteries won't fit.  The battery you need is VMA4400.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMA4400-100NAS.html

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation