I bought a 5 camera Arlo Pro 2 system (VMB4000r23) a few months ago at Costco while they were having a $150 discount off their regular price. I was not able to install it until a few weeks ago as I did not have time to install the category 5 cable needed to optimally position the Arlo Base station in my home. The base station and cameras are all installed per Arlo clearance recommendations to prevent interference such as the base station placed in another room from the Wi-Fi router. All the cameras have a signal strength of 2 or 3 bars in the device status. Three of the cameras in high traffic areas are powered via the USB power adapter. My internet speed is 200Mbps up and down, supplied by Frontier. I am using a Netgear DGND3700v2 router.
I thought I could get this thing running will reliable performance, but I have not been able to. Most of the time the system does work, but it is unreliable and has interface issues. Unfortunately, the time period for returns has expired. Hopefully I can live with it or sell it on eBay. (PM if you are interested in buying.)
Per tech support, I did a factory reset of the base station and resynced all the cameras. Yet I still continue to have problems.
Here are the problems I have with Arlo Pro2:
- Unreliability to detect motion and record. One camera is powered and it failed to detect the disappearance of my trash bin. The video prior to the disappearance clearly shows the trash can in the middle of the camera view, and 20 minutes later the trash can has disappeared; it is obvious the trash collection occurred as trash bins across the alley have been emptied because they have moved location. One several occasions the cameras have failed to record when multiple cameras detect motion at the same time. For example, if I enter through the back door while my enters through the front door. Can I trust the system to record a break-in?
- Randomly, the phone (android) app says the system is not connected to the internet. This occurs when the internet light on the base station is unlit, but also sometimes when it is also green which is supported to mean it is connected. Yet my internet is up and running, which was confirmed by testing my internet connection. The router showed the base station was connected to the router and it responded to a ping. When this problem occurs, I am also unable to connect using the website interface. After about 20 minutes the system reboots itself, and then it will work. Yet, it will randomly disconnect again.
- Interface problems on multiple platforms. The app on my Galaxy S7 about 70% of the time requires me to close and restart the Arlo app to get the device status of the cameras to update, but it does allow me to change the mode and view the library. Using Chrome (current version), sometimes during video playback it will stop and pop up a message saying that your browser does not support the video. Why does Chrome work with some videos and not others? Why does it suddenly stop while in the middle of a video? Customer support could never answer that question. However, I have not had the problem with the same video with the phone app. Is Arlo saving files in some non-standard format?
- The firmware update on Monday, August 5, prevented me from using the phone app to check on the system. The app kept saying the system needed a firmware update. The only way to clear this was to power down the base station and restart. This is a HUGE flaw in rolling out new firmware. If it is an automatic update, then it MUST require no action on my part to restart the system to perform. Fortunately, I was at home, but if I was on vacation, I would not have been able to reset and use the system.
- Arlo customer support is unhelpful and frustrating. The quality of their support staff is poor and it takes forever to try to explain the problem and make sure thy understand the issue. After spending an hour, the solution to everything is to power down the system or take out the battery. Fixing problems by taking the battery out of the camera is not a good approach as some cameras requires ladders to reach them. If there is a camera sync problem, there must be a way to do this without having to take out the battery.
- Video quality problems. Selected best video on all the a/c powered cameras and the image can suddenly become grainy and pixelated. Video playback can also suddenly speed up. I have noticed this on the A/C powered cameras in some videos that the person walking will unnaturally start speeding up. There is one case when I suddenly disappeared from the image and the video continues.
Am I being too nitpicky on performance issues? If it was only one issue, fine, but there are so many issues that are just frustrating. Is the Arlo Pro 2 system just poorly designed? Am I expecting too much?
If these are problems that can be fixed, please let me know about possible solutions. I do know that calling customer support is useless and they tell me to do the things I have already done, or do not make any sense. They refuse to transfer me to tier 2 support.
Sorry for this very long posting but I am frustrated with Arlo.
I don't understand how this system gets ANY positive reviews, because the only thing I've been pleased with, considering the astronomical price, was how easy they were to set up.
Battery life, lagging, not recording or detecting movement, glitches in audio, buffering time, and now with the "updated" Android app, I'm required to log in every time I want to check cameras after receiving movement detected notification
I would be remotely content with system/app's performance if we had invested closer to $100.00 because we've certainly not "getting what we paid for".
Customer service is an absolute joke. I can not get back the hours I spent within a few weeks of our initial purchase trying to explain, comprehend, and exchange information. I eventually communicated with them via chat message. Their "solutions"/"troubleshooting" steps were so asinine and basic that I actually saved the entire transcript.
With that being said, I will NEVER deal with customer service again.
The problems that we had from beginning, even after exchange of first system within warranty, still exist. There is no reason to repeat EVERY issue, because the "Arlo Community" is proof that I'm not the only unsatisfied customer.
There should be a recall on this overpriced PROP, and I'm still in shock that it is rated/reviewed so highly.
I would semi-pleased, if we had invested $100, but for around $600 (date we purchased), it is total junk!
OK- so I might have been a bit premature in my praise. Seems the pixelation and stuttering recording issues are intermittent. Of course the time you need the clear image is when it all turns to mud. I'm back on the fighting side. Arlo- get your together. You had a great product that worked really well and a bunch of happy customers- Now you have a product that is unreliable and ....frankly an embarrassment. If you cant improve moving forward, then step back to when everyone was happy. There is NO WAY that I would even consider getting an Ultra set up or any further Netgear product if you do not provide the service for what should be deemed a premium product.
If this was my vehicle, it would be a lemon law case on the first day of ownership. But yet we put up with this crap for years and years. It never ends. I could go on and on with daily issues but you know what they are. I spend more time playing with this app/system than I care to admit.
In before a "Guru" or Arlo support bot asks if you've rebooted/reset/re-synced your cameras or provides a link to Arlo support lol.
Same here, very disappointed overall. It's ok, several competitors have emerged with better and cheaper products. Back when I bought Arlo they were the only game in town.
To return or not to return...I'm browsing the forums to help me decide to return or not. This thread not very inspriing!!!
I am halfway through my 15 day Best Buy return window and just found out that this camera will not record behind glass, which is what I bought it for. I just wanted it for simple package delivery monitoring from inside. I put it out on the porch and it is working okay, but could be easy to steal (tall person standing on one of my plant benches). I don't want to put it any higher up or more secure like on a gutter. Too inconvenient and exposed. I got it on sale for $180 (VMS4130P). I am not experiencing any of the problems in this thread, but I fear I will in time. I attempted customer service unsuccessfully earlier. You guys are very discouraging. I had trouble getting the new app but it seems okay now. (The old app wouldn't do push notificaitons, but the new app does that fine.) But I have a simple setup. No USB. No other cameras. No CRV (CVP? CVS?). I monitor only via the app. Sounds like the website/browser interface is probably not best way to go.
Thanks! Looks like the arlo-q is what I need and less expensive! I couldn't find anything in the specs that says it can look out glass, but apparently it does. Returning the VMS4130P!
(sorry for hijack thread... back to orig complaint topic...)
I have watched my whole system go down the tube since I bought it in July of this year. It worked very well at first but lately I am having ALL the same problems as everyone else on these forums. I am sure there are no issues reported here that I am not having now. No need to list them.
Sadly for me all the crap started after my Best Buy return window closed. I have the 3 year extended coverage but that only gets me a store credit. I will try talking to Best Buy this weekend but I’m not holding my breath.
If that fails I am thinking maybe I should contact a newspaper or news tv program which has some sort of consumer advocacy section. Maybe I can get the word out to warn others and possibly get my money back that way. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone does start some sort of class action law suite. I have NEVER heard of such a poor product being sold to the public.
Surprise surprise, not long after typing all that in, my son comes home. Driveway camera picks it up and notifies me but not the porch camera. Nothing. No video, no nothing at all from the porch camera. I am so sick of this **bleep**. Please let someone start legal proceedings against Arlo. PLEASE!
Have just had an attempted break in to my parking garage. Arlo was as useless as **bleep** on a bull. 3 metres away and a pure white image of the video player without any motion...just an image of the player. Arlo - If you cant fix this, please just say so and I will get rid of this system. I have been waiting for it to improve, but this is now the final straw. If anyone has any alternate brands, please post. I am putting Netgear on 7 days notice. Either fix it, or the system goes and I will launch a huge campaign of publicity about this. Just give the ability to go BACK TO A SYSTEM THAT WORKS........PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Soooo...... The Arlo Pro 2 and this image quality issue. I have been working on my case for this with Arlo for some time. I Even asked if they would work with me to upgrade to the Ultra. They wont- they do not have such an exchange policy, plus the fact is I would resent being in the position of needing to pay a subscription to view events, as they still do not offer the ability to access local storage remotely. I asked when, and they said they are working on it. We all seem to know that means nothing in Arlo speak. Yesterday I went an bought a Eufy Cam set. 2 Cameras. Fellas ~ seriously? In less than 30 minutes, I had it charged (YES ~ apparently lasts for up to 1 year on a charge), synced, set up and mounted outside. Range is as good as the Arlo. App is more snappy, image ...stunning!!! I am now going to pack up my stupid frustrating Arlo set and maybe use them where it is simply not important and where I dont need to rely on them. Have a read here <https://nerdtechy.com/eufy-evercam-review> I originally loved my Arlo's but the recent events with them and their total lack of customer support and ability to fix what the entire thing is about has forced my hand. Good luck all with your Arlo's, I am now a Eufy man!!!
After years of disappointment in performance and reading endless negative reviews, I would like Arlo/Netgear to issue a recall and provide full refunds for the astronomical amounts of money paid for these useless "security" systems!
help center is a joke! keep having varied issues, internet not connected - yes it is!; home base offline- no it's not;
missing motion activity - no show on app; video speed doesn't capture well - even simple motion of people walking - skips and studders.
really frustrated with money invested and the rave reviews of lies apparently!?
I agree with this post. I upgraded my Arlo cams to Pro 2 and have experienced a ton of unreliable stuff. I've given up trying to complain because it's not done any good and a waste of time to try to make Arlo aware of how awful the user SW is and how unreliable the cams are.