Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
BretD
Arlo Employee Retired

Arlo Pro 2 - 1080p HD Security Camera With Total FlexibilityArlo Pro 2 - 1080p HD Security Camera With Total FlexibilityVisit our Arlo Pro 2 Launch thread to learn more about Arlo Pro 2
Arlo Pro 2 Landing Page
Win an Arlo Pro 2 Kit - Ask us Anything about Arlo Pro 2
Visit our shiny new Arlo Pro 2 Forum

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.
27 REPLIES 27
Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks Netgear.  I just bought my Arlo Pro 3 Camera system a few weeks ago and now this is out so soon.  I knew I should have waited...once again.

luketani
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah, that bites. I was in a similar situation after buying the orginal Arlo, the Arlo Pro was introduced, which I then purchased. I wish Netgear would have some sort of exchange/upgade program. I would love to get the Arlo 2 but don't need any additional cameras.

DoggoCam
Initiate
Initiate

Is the 24/7 record option going to be added to the current Pro models? I'd hate to have to upgrade just for that feature. 

Maerlyn13
Tutor
Tutor

Just purchased my Pro system to upgrade my original Arlo system 6 months ago. Besides the upgraded resolution is it safe to assume the pro and pro2 are basically the same? Will any of the upgraded features of the pro2 system come to the pro through firmware or software upgrade or will Netgear force the consumer to buy the pro2 to get those features?

unco
Star
Star

I have a feeling they'll force you to update like they did with activating local USB storage.

Called it.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/No-full-1080p-HD-a-missed-chance-with-the-new-Pro-model/m-...

Maerlyn13
Tutor
Tutor
I can live without the upgraded resolution. What about the other pro2 upgraded features. Prob won't get an answer for that one..
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Really?  You buy almost anything electronic these days and in the near future an updated device shows up and that's not the same thing?  Gee, you bought the latest HDTV and suddenly a 4K version is available. Do you bitch at Samsung?

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

On top of that you only get those added features when its plugged into a power AC power source even a solar panel doesnt count as a power source so basicaly when on battery you have the same thing as the regular pro. The differance between 720 and 1080 is not really all that better if you even notice it. 

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hardware looks good but does the features work/function properly? I doubt it... Maybe for a few months it will until a new firmware update comes along and ruins it for ya' and the blaming game issue between you and NG starts.. Of course NG will always wins.. It's a fun frustrating game really.. I challenge you to win the game..  Go ahead try it and join the fun.. I do.. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Apple is actually the king of that business model. Adding a new feature or two and making you spend another $800-$1200 on a new iPhone, when all those "new" features have already been in other phones on the market for years. Everything the iPhone 8 has could've been in the iPhone 6, but then you couldn't get your loyal customers to upgrade for a new feature. Piece meal it out is actually the way many companies operate now.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Only questions I have........

Why would anyone need 24/7 indoor recording? Unless you own a business, but if so I'd think you get a commercial camera system.

Will the Arlo Pro's add-on camera price drop now that the arlo pro 2 is out?

Bigsky406
Initiate
Initiate

Same boat, but I still have time to return my 3-pack to Costco. Waiting to see it the Arlo Pro 2 is worth the spendy upgrade. I could use better resolution at two of my camera positions.

Haulero
Apprentice
Apprentice

It would be nice if they give us a heads up.... Like, " In 3 months we are planning on launching the new Arlo pro 2" That way we decide to wait or buy anyways. More likely they wouldn't wanna do that because then, you wouldn't buy the old system.

unco
Star
Star

They don't even mention it on the Arlo AU site at all still.  Not even a "coming soon" or article in the news section.

http://arlo.com/au/news/default.aspx

Feel bad for those who are about to purchase a whole system, maybe the elderly who walk in to the store to buy without researching what's coming.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How many companies announce new product delivery in advance?

Thought so.

HurdyGurdy
Star
Star

Not the same - industry announced moves to 4K so you know it was happening. This is netgear playing underhand, pushing old tech with no warning something new is around.

luketani
Tutor
Tutor

pc2k17 wrote:

Apple is actually the king of that business model. Adding a new feature or two and making you spend another $800-$1200 on a new iPhone, when all those "new" features have already been in other phones on the market for years. Everything the iPhone 8 has could've been in the iPhone 6, but then you couldn't get your loyal customers to upgrade for a new feature. Piece meal it out is actually the way many companies operate now.

The mobile phone industry is an annual arms race but only incremental upgrades not really noteworthy but consumers want the shiny new toy. With that said, there are upgarde programs, which take some of the sting off the purchase. I wish Netgear had an exchange/upgrade program. I'm sure they can refurbish/recycle parts.

wilmington
Aspirant
Aspirant

After reading multiple reviews, I bought the older Pro system because the new one is not worth the extra cost.  The older Pro models seem more stable and the feature difference doesn't warrant the cost.  The older Pro system was on sale, so it made sense.

idoe
Guide
Guide

yeah, so? still **bleep**ty service you got. Since the base isn't connecting to your server, then all the cameras are useless. sloppy design netgear.. why can't you just make the camera autonomous and connect them all through consumer's wifi AP.

cbrauckmiller
Star
Star

Haulero wrote:

It would be nice if they give us a heads up.... Like, " In 3 months we are planning on launching the new Arlo pro 2" That way we decide to wait or buy anyways. More likely they wouldn't wanna do that because then, you wouldn't buy the old system.

You clearly don't work in the technology field.  Why would ANY company anounce 6 months out that a system is going to be replaced?  If companies did that, they'd have a crap ton of older inventory just laying around.  You sell what you have in inventory to make money.  You don't shoot yourself in the foot and encourage customers to wait for the new hotness. 

I agree with others though....it sould be nice if they offered a loyalty upgrade price or some other customer retention perk.

cbrauckmiller
Star
Star

idoe wrote:

yeah, so? still **bleep**ty service you got. Since the base isn't connecting to your server, then all the cameras are useless. sloppy design netgear.. why can't you just make the camera autonomous and connect them all through consumer's wifi AP.

Because normal 802.11 wi-fi would suck to support.  It opens up a metric crud ton of support issues and compatibility issues that would be a freakin' nightmare to deal with.  If you have a proprietary wireless protocol and hardware, it makes QA and support much easier. 

I support wireless clients for a living.  I worked for Funk Software which was an industry leader in 802.11 wireless supplicant market.  We had a heck of a time supporting various vendor wifi NICs and drivers.  After Juniper bought us, we eventually got out of that market and left the wireless stuff to the OS manufacturer.  A lot less need for QA on dozens of NICs. 

Trust me...you are better off with Netgear doing it this way.

Alfredo50
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchase my arlo pro and then they come with arlo pro2. Yes it be nice if they had anexchange program for there customer. Also there is no support when you need to get support. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you used the Contact Support link at the bottom here to get support?

Ericl84
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well said I just got the Arlo Pro now I see there is a 2 with all the same stuff hope I still get everything that does
Discussion stats