Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Tempature concerns

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
InfernoMedic
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can see that the specifications for the Arlo Pro 2 is -4° to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C). I have also noticed that charging of a lithium battery shouldn’t be done at a temperature less than 32° F. When using the solar charging panel should this tempature consideration be taken into account? Would hardwiring the electric be a better option and dose that effect operating tempature?Secondly I live in New England where during the winter months the temperature is regularly below freezing what operational effect is the if any on the camera operation?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
InfernoMedic
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do appreciate all of the responses to the questions I had posed. I ultimatly chose to go with another product due to living in New England and the fact the tempatures are consistlently below 32° during the fall and winter months. I chose to go with the NEST IQ due to the fact it operates at –40° to 113°F (–40° to 45°C).

https://nest.com/cameras/nest-cam-iq-outdoor/tech-specs/

vs.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/documents/ArloPro2/Arlo_Pro_2_Datasheet.pdf

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The camera/battery automatically protect themselves against charging when below 32F - you'll get a notification on the Devices tab that charging is paused, regardless of power source.  When temps rise, charging automatically resumes.

Normal operation in freezing temps is fine until it drops to -4F at which time the cameras disable themselves. The reason isn't known since the original wireless cameras will continue to work although battery life is reduced.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

When using the solar charging panel should this tempature consideration be taken into account? 

In VERY cold climates which are mostly below 32F, I would opt for additional batteries and a charge tube as the camera is not going to charge via solar below freezing and a battery swap will be needed anyway.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Aspirant
Aspirant

"Normal operation in freezing temps is fine until it drops to -4F at which time the cameras disable themselves"

wow if this is the case this system has to go back to Amazon. Living in northern Mn. We’re on our way to many days below -4 😬

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro cameras have been demonstrated to do this so I expect the Pro 2s will do the same.  Of course, a question is whether you'd have much or any activity below -4F but that's your call.  Personally, I'd be inside...  🙂

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

The Pro cameras have been demonstrated to do this so I expect the Pro 2s will do the same.  Of course, a question is whether you'd have much or any activity below -4F but that's your call.  Personally, I'd be inside...  🙂

I don’t know about that......we get lower temperatures than that quite often in january. Bad guys still get around and go where they shouldn’t even then, pretty sure as much activity goes on during those #$&%*! cold nights! 😄

InfernoMedic
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do appreciate all of the responses to the questions I had posed. I ultimatly chose to go with another product due to living in New England and the fact the tempatures are consistlently below 32° during the fall and winter months. I chose to go with the NEST IQ due to the fact it operates at –40° to 113°F (–40° to 45°C).

https://nest.com/cameras/nest-cam-iq-outdoor/tech-specs/

vs.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/documents/ArloPro2/Arlo_Pro_2_Datasheet.pdf

wase4711
Luminary
Luminary

my question is just the opposite; here in Phoenix, where the temps go above 113 frequesntly from june-august, how will that affect the camera that is outside at those times?

Aspirant
Aspirant

Good news. Last night first negative temp of the year. -12.8F. At daybreak. The outside camera still up and running!

This camera is installed plugged in without battery installed.

Also I have to say, I have had no issues with this system. Arlo pro 2 (running steady about 10 days).

Btw the -12.8F is not the good news.😬

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Thanks for posting this.  Based on what you've seen, it appears to be an issue with the battery, not the camera.  I believe everyone else who had tried cold weather usage was using the battery.  It would be an interesting test, if you want to try it, to install the battery AND have it powered to see what happpens.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation