Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Sun Causing False Alerts. Tried reducing sensitivity and adjusted angle.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
LetsRunEm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had a 3 camera + base station system since Christmas (Arlo Pro 2). On overcast/rainy days and night time they work great. On sunny days from about 10am-3pm my front and rear cameras give me hundreds of false notifications. I have tried reducing the sensitivity to almost nothing, and adjusted the angle several times. I have swapped cameras around and still get the same result. My third camera is under a car port so it get no false notifications. I have had to resort to turning the cameras off during the times I get false notifications which defeats the purpose of having them. I know it is not wind, bushes, traffic , etc because I get no false notifications on overcast days and night time which sees the same bushes, wind and traffic. Actually during storms and rain the wind/ bushes probably move much more and because there is no sun there is no false trigger.

Additionally I have a ring doorbell on the same front of the house which is set to “people only” and give no false alert.

I have seen tons of posts about false alerts from the sun and no fix. For the premium price of the Arlo system I feel like they should be working on a fix for this. I get frustrated and sometimes wish I had gone with a different product.

Any input / advice would be much appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The sun's IR is a huge source and reflects off many surfaces. To combat this you may need to change the camera's location and/or positioning (remove branches/leaves/street from view). Many of us use lower sensitivity settings during the day to lower false triggers, too. To do so, test to see what the minimum level is needed to still detect people as needed.

LetsRunEm
Aspirant
Aspirant

As I said in my initial post I have changed the angle of the camera and have limited locations I can move the camera to and have it be a useful security tool.  I have adjusted the sensitivity to as low as 5% during the day.  The one bush in view of my camera is well manicured and there is nothing there to trim.  

I also have a Ring product viewing the same area with no issue.  Clearly this is a Arlo (the most expensive in its category) issue.  Many people on here experience the same frustration and get the same response about the suns IR.  We are all aware of this.  What we want is for Arlo to address the problem instead of redirecting it on the customer.  We purchased these products for home security and in order to have proper coverage of our residences they need to installed in certain general areas.  Other brands are not having such a huge IR issue with the sun, in my experience it is only the Arlo product having this issue mounted in the same location as other brand products.

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

I get this on sunny days, reflections off my silver van set it off and I’m limited with positioning too. By altering the sensitivity I’m able to get rid of most of the false captures and I can live with a few. Took a bit of time to get use to it.

you might have to alter the mounting from the standard supplied mounting too. A bit of DIY can help there.
what you do get with Arlo is a very secure connection from camera to base where as other cameras connect to your home Wi-fi network and 99% of consumer grade Wi-fi 5 routers are not covered by PMF and any Tom, or Harry can quite easily without any skill turn of some of these cameras. Arlo might not be perfect but it’s secure and even more so with a direct cable connection.

I would think about positioning and sensitivity and take some time to play around till it’s working the best it can. 

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation