Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

While not a big theft, our water hose was taken. Unfortunately, I had “disarmed” the cameras over a day ago, as I typically do when the lawn is mowed or my kids are playing in the yard, since otherwise, hundreds of clips would fill up my library, my email notifcatoins clog up my mailbox, and my Apple Watch buzzes nonstop.

I forgot to switch them back to “armed”.

Since Arlo doesn’t have a “snooze” feature (gosh, how hard could that be to add!), I am out a $50 garden hose.  Oh well, it could have been worse. None the less, I guess my options are:

1. never disarm the Arlo’s and tolerate the redicuous annoyance every time my lawn is mowed or kids play.
  2. set a reminder on my phone using an app from developers who care, to open another app and enable them.
  3. Try to remember sooner next time and run the risk of more theft if I forget again.
  4. look into other, more up to date security systems.

Anyone who knows me, knows I have been an Arlo proponent for years, but I had assumed years ago that Netgear would at least keep up with basic improvements.

Off to Home Depot to buy another water hose. Maybe while in town I’ll stop by Best Buy to check out the latest advancements in home security options. 😉

5 REPLIES 5
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Install the app ifttt. In ifttt search for Arlo. The two apps work hand in hand, you might find something to keep it armed when needed. Personally I use life360 as the geofence option that triggers ifttt. Works great.
VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@mhnatt wrote:

Unfortunately, I had “disarmed” the cameras over a day ago, as I typically do when the lawn is mowed or my kids are playing in the yard, since otherwise, hundreds of clips would fill up my library, 

I forgot to switch them back to “armed”.

Something similar to this might work for you. I find on windy days, things blown around trigger recording and endless notifications. So my "Windy day mode" is the same as my normal armed mode except I've reduced the motion and audio sensitivity and disabled notifications. So I still get lots of video recordings in the library which is no problem as there is no limit and on the free subscription, they disappear after 7 days. I don't clean them out or worry about them. With notifications off, I'm not bombarded by endless dings, pings and vibrations on all the cellphones and tablets around the house. If you were in Windy Day or "Backyard in Use" mode, you may not have gotten notification but you likely would have video of your garden hose walking away that you could review when you discovered the loss. 

Abmet
Apprentice
Apprentice

I recommend IFTTT as well, I have a scheduled event that arms my system every day at 8 PM that way if I forget to re-arm it takes care of it for me.  I also have buttons to arm or disarm from my phone's today screen which are more convenient than logging into the app, going to modes and then selecting to arm or disarm.

mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the ideas. I’ll check into IFTTT however, am I wrong in thinking we shouldn’t have to seek out other companies for such a simple feature? Granted, there is likely a never ending feature request list, but it would be like me having a bedside alarm clock whereby I have to go and purchase an app just to have a snooze button.

After all, are not Arlo cameras somewhat of “Alarm” devices anyway? Then why not a “snooze”?

Abmet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agree, would be nice to not have to use other products and It would be a great feature to be able to snooze for x period of time. 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation