Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Motion Detection problem

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
masterful
Tutor
Tutor

I have an Arlo Pro base system with 4 Arlo Pro cameras.  I added an Arlo Pro 2 camera and it worked great until recently.  Within the past month or so; the Arlo Pro 2 motion triggers only 1/4 of the time compared to the Arlo Pro camera.  I have the Arlo Pro connected to power on one side of my house and the Arlo Pro 2 connected to power on the other side, both facing out.

I've reset the cameras, made sure both cameras are set for motion, motion detection at 100% on both, etc....still the Arlo Pro 2 only detects 1/4 of the events compare to the Arlo Pro.  Wondering if there was a recent firmware pushed out that effected it or I have a camera going bad.

9 REPLIES 9
VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@masterful wrote:

I've reset the cameras, made sure both cameras are set for motion, motion detection at 100% on both, etc....still the Arlo Pro 2 only detects 1/4 of the events compare to the Arlo Pro.  Wondering if there was a recent firmware pushed out that effected it or I have a camera going bad.

Is the motion you want to detect from side to side or straight onto the camera? Motion detection works better for motion from side to side in the camera view. 

In the Device menu there is a temporary setting for testing motion detection. The blue LED on the front of the camera lights up when it detects motion as you move around so you can check the detection ability. 

Maybe try pointing the Arlo Pro 2 slightly to the left or right and test motion detection?

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@masterful wrote:

I have the Arlo Pro connected to power on one side of my house and the Arlo Pro 2 connected to power on the other side, both facing out.

What do you mean by facing out? Are the cameras inside the house looking out through a window?

masterful
Tutor
Tutor

The cameras are facing the street.  It used to capture every car that passed my house, now it triggers sporatically and sometimes won't even trigger off people walking by or up to my house.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you increased the sensitivity setting in your modes/rules? Sounds like the camera needs to be rotated down to avoid the street and just concentrate on the area of real interest.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Sensitivity set at 100 so there's no room to increase that.

If you haven't already, I'd give the front lower part of the camera a good wipe with a damp, lint-free cloth as the PIR sensor is behind there.

Failing that, Contact Support at the bottom of the page and open a ticket

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

masterful,

Could you post a screenshot from the cameras point of view? This may help us better understand the issue and identify if placement could be causing a problem.

JamesC

masterful
Tutor
Tutor

I have spoken with support and followed thier recomendations, no improvement.  This weekend I purchased a new Pro 2 cam and set it up next to the camera in question.  The new cam works perfect, the motion triggers everytime while the older Pro 2 only triggers 50% of the time.  I am waiting to see how well the Arlo light works since it can trigger the camera off its own motion sensor. 

The CVR subscription interests me BUT, from what I understand you can not download the video or store it locally so that does not help me.  It may be time for me to go back to a wired system since I'm losing faith that my Arlo system will capture an event when it will really be needed.

masterful
Tutor
Tutor

.....3 days later, now both Pro 2 cams are not triggering.  Smiley Indifferent

masterful
Tutor
Tutor

After investigating and rebooting system, resyncing cameras, etc, it seems when the Pro 2 cameras DO sense motion (yellow running man) it is not recording.  I have both Pro and Pro 2 cams on my system and yes I've checked all my settings.  The Pro cameras seem to work fine, just having issues with Pro 2 cams.

Started doing this late last night, I notice they pushed a firmware update out on the 15th.  Getting real frustrated with this system.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation