Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wrathchild
Guide
Guide

I’ve been an Arlo user for many years. Running Pro 2 cameras and a Ultra SmartHub base. I use an iPhone 10 to operate the app and my internet is not the issue. Everything is fully updated to whatever the most recent available updates are. 

Anyways, I disarmed my system today to do yard work. When I tried to rearm the system I noticed nothing appeared on the “Mode” tab of the app. It should allow me to arm or disarm the system. Instead I’m greeted with an empty screen. I went back to the “device” tab and it says all cameras are offline. 

I’ve rebooted, reset, etc. everything multiple times. If it’s a possible trouble shooting method, I’ve done it. Trust me. I’ve done it.  Nothing helped. All I did was waste my entire evening that I should have been spending with my family…thanks Arlo.

I redid my entire system. Set up the SmartHub and all my cameras across my property as if they were new. This worked. The “new” hub appeared in the app and each camera did as well once I synced and named them. The cameras picked up my movement and I have those recordings in my library. I turned off each camera, using the “device” tab, after I set up them up and confirmed it worked. Thinking my issue was solved, I went inside to call it a night. Once inside my home I opened the app and clicked the “mode” tab to arm all devices and was once again greeted with a blank screen…fantastic. 

I went back to the “device” tab and noticed the SmartHub device was no longer appearing on the list below my cameras. When I clicked on a camera it said it was connected to “base station”. This is not what I named my SmartHub. It’s as if app forgot my SmartHub existed in the time it took me to walk inside and made my cameras revert connection to some bogus placeholder hub name. 

Long story short, I’ve wasted hours on this stupid system and gone in a giant circle accomplishing nothing. It would be one thing if my Smarthub randomly crapped out while I was doing yard work and never worked again. But the fact that I redid the entire system, confirmed it worked, then minutes later my Hub magically disappears the moment I’m ready to turn everything on seems very suspicious. Arlo, fix this nonsense immediately. I’ve wasted enough time on this. 

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is investigating an issue with VMB4000 and VMB4500 base stations being removed when adjusting device order within Arlo account settings. 

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and are working on a resolution.

For additional updates on status, please refer to status.arlo.com

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

This topic has been escalated to the development team and these reports are currently being investigated. I will provide an update as soon as more information becomes available.

JamesC

169 REPLIES 169
Melfman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem. I tried offloading the app on two iPhones and reinstalling them. I also rebooted the Arlo base.  No luck. This just started. It has worked fine up til now. I attempted to access the mode tab on my computer but there is no mode tab. Why?

Valescarpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi mtnhrdgr2 I'm Valentina from Italy, experiencing the same issues starting from Monday morning, since I moved a camera, changing the order: I have 9 cameras (7 of which are connected to the hub/base station) and moved an essential (not connected to base station) to the second place. I got no support from Arlo: they simply wrote me that their engineer were taking care of the issue (3 emails with the same content) and when I spoke with Arlo service the girl I talked to told me it's a well known problem. That said, I will not change the order again. I kindly ask you a clarification: before rebooting (or factory reset?) the hub am I supposed to delete all the cameras, included the two "essential" connected to wifi and not to base station? They are still working and kept me in condition to control the house/dog/kids in these days. Thank you in advance, Valentina

Storage
Aspirant
Aspirant

My VMB 4000 IS SHOWING ON-LINE BUT CAMERAS ARE MISSING

ArdoB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issues you are, or were having VMB4000. The mode menu under the App was showing blank and went back to find that my hub is disappeared in my devices, only the cameras are showing. I also did the factory reset  for the hub, re-installed/re-synced the cameras all over again, not to mention going up and down the ladder multiple times and yes, the system started working again. But l after I finished putting the cameras up again, the hub disappeared again. 

In short, Arlo please fix this issue, it is very frustrating. I also spent a lot of time accomplishing nothing that previously was a working system.

mtnhrdgr2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Valentina,

When your system is not working, look at your Arlo app, do you see your Arlo base there? What we have been experiencing on this thread is that the hub disappears. If you do not see your hub in the arlo app, then you will need to reset it.. Before you reset, yes you need to delete all your cameras first. For me, I am only able to delete the cameras one at a time.

After you reset your hub and then try to reconnect to the Arlo hub, as part of the reconnect process, it will look for an update. When I reset mine last night, it did a firmware update. Maybe yours will update also. Maybe this is their technical fix???

I have resorted mine and it is still working. Hopefully it is fixed.

All of my cameras are connected to my hub, so I cannot answer your essentials camera question from experience. Sorry. These are showing in your Arlo app but doesn't not need the Arlo hub for you to view. Interesting. If you do not need the hub, I would guess no need to connect these to the hub.

Valescarpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi mtnhrdgr2, thanks a lot: Arlo hub disappeared a couple of days ago (therefore I confirm I could not see it both in app and web browser), I could see only the 2 arlo essential cameras connected to wifi (my wifi and that of my neighbour). I followed your instructions , I cancelled all the the cameras (included the essential still working as they were not depending from disappeared hub) , cancelled the app both in my phone and that of my husband, rebooted, reinstalled app etc, It took a while to add again all the 9 cams and now the system is working, but I completed the activity only one hour ago. I've added cameras in the desired order, so I will not have to move any up and down the list again. Thanks a lot for your precious support and clear description: Arlo service has been really disappointing so far. In the meanwhile I bought a Xiaomi security cam, just in case the system breaks down again. Valentina

SRangel
Guide
Guide

So I did the “fix” which isn’t really a fix, just don’t reorder your cameras, right? It’s been about an hour and things are still working fine BUT… I had 2 USB sticks in there and now they’re corrupted to the point I can’t use them. I tried on the computer and it won’t even let me access it. So now I’ve had 4 days of no service, several hours of trouble shooting and resetting and hanging cameras, and now I’m out 2 memory sticks which can’t be replaced for awhile. Anyone else have this happen? 

diigi_eye
Tutor
Tutor

yes that’s  exactly what I had to do … basically NUKE system and start from scratch .  HUB then synch each camera back in .    Not good .  

patriot64
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now my modes don't seem to be working. My custom modes. I deleted them all and rebuilt them still don't work. 

andrewinbriz
Guide
Guide

Arlo told me to do such with port opening/forwarding. I am not very computer literate. I asked the ISP for instructions. The ISP says your connection is working as it should, get Arlo to provide the instructions, it is after all their problem.

I don't believe it is possible to have a lower opinion of a company than I do of Arlo at the moment.

Denying a problem exists, then putting the onus on the end user/subscriber. It is your problem Arlo. 

If there is not a waiving of subscription fees for many months, you know Arlo is saying F You.

patriot64
Aspirant
Aspirant

I asked for a 5 day refund the time frame my system was down due to them. They told me no. They have a system status you can check to make sure everything is working. This entire time this was going on they NEVER changed it to show there was an system issue. I have had MANY issues. Besides the subar support or should I say NO support I have had issues with a discount code they gave me for a broken Arlo Pro 2 not working. They told me in April I had 6 months to use it. I tried tonight and it would not work. So I get on with support and show all the emails. They give me another code. IT DOESN'T"T WORK. I had a missing part for my Arlo Security light it took them three tries to send the correct thing. Two didn't even go to the security light. I have used arlo for years. I have pro 2's Pro4's Arlo go cameras and a Arlo 3 security light. I also used the cameras at work. I have all my family using them. I am and my end with this company. They just don't care.

andrewinbriz
Guide
Guide

They just don't care?? I suspect you are right. Because of their plainly stupid attitude, I am considering just putting all my Arlo stuff on ebay, and going to someone else. The Arlo product is not unique, not even best in class, and their attitude to issues (denial/don't care/your problem), and their lack of acceptance of responsibility (ie waiver of subscription fees), means they are undeserving of any recommendation.

Nick-L
Tutor
Tutor

It is beyond conjecture that ARLO’s service has been appalling. During this current saga, I had to threaten to use strong language in these posts since after they claimed (thro’ James C) that they had “solved” the issue, it is apparent that they only fixed the glitch without solving users’ problems. My particular user problem was that “re-onboarding” all Base Stations is NOT a solution at all as half of my cams are in an unattended holiday home thousands of miles away and I would not be able to access the cams and the Base Stations within the next few months, perhaps even a year.

My gripes with ARLO’s service do not end there but they are for another post as they are unrelated to the present glitch.

TO GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT’S DUE, however, about 12 hours ago,I noticed all my missing Base Stations (including the ones in the home thousand of miles away) CAME BACK ONTO THE MODE LIST in the order they should have been. I have NOT done anything for the past couple of days as I was so…so…so… put off by James C’s post saying we had to “re-onboard” everything that I was seriously studying other systems with a view to jumping ship. No “re-onboarding” any Base Station, re-syncing any cams, re-shuffling the device order, nothing was carried out at all. To those who’ve scrambled to reset their devices and ventured to climb up and down high ladders to retrieve and re-install their cams, I do feel sorry for you, as ARLO has obviously NOT ANNOUNCED that they could restore our mode list to where it was. I checked throughout today: all schedules are intact, geofencing working as they were set, the cams can be armed and disarmed at will and most importantly, further “re-ordering” the Base Stations on the Mode List HAS NOT caused any problem. I even added one Arlo Q cam and “re-ordered” it on the Mode list.

I note that some of us here are still experiencing problems. I don’t know why. For all intents and purposes, mine have gone back to pre-issue normal. Wish ARLO would open up and announce what caused the issue, what was the fix (for me at least) and what you guys have to do to return to normal.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@andrewinbriz wrote:

Arlo told me to do such with port opening/forwarding.

That wasn't the right fix for the smarthub disappearing (perhaps you reached out to support before they'd figured out the problem).

So don't pursue that option.  What you need to do now is remove the smarthub from the account and onboard it (and the cameras) again.  Definitely a pain. 

patriot64
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same experience with things going back on line because like you I was so put off with the pure cluster of assistance that Arlo was giving I wasn't sure if I was going to ever continue. I did however clear and resync some of my cameras when the Custom modes I built were not working. I finally realized it was the modes that needed re done it just was a mess all the way around.

Ben135
Guide
Guide

hey 

has this issue been resolved for anyone, as my hub has been booted off the Arlo app which in turn has removed one of my devices which has CVR. Need help ASAP as this is a major flaw 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Ben135

Can you provide more detail regarding the issue you are experiencing as well as which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest anything you have previously performed.

Thank you 

Ben135
Guide
Guide

They actually deleted off the app as in they weren’t even available to me. 
I had to re add them to the network. Like they were a “new” item 

the hub also randomly goes offline which makes my CVR subscription redundant. Yes I have tried everything rethinking disconnecting the hub resetting the hub or the troubleshooting that I’ve read online. To be honest I think there is a problem with either the firmware or hardware

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Ben135

Is your device back online now? Which part do you need assistance with? 

backfire_tx
Guide
Guide

Same issue for me. APP stopped working! However, online website the cameras are all active. Called support and told me you dont pay for it. This is YOUR fault Arlo.  Very Poor support.

All cameras lost in APP. Online sees all the cameras.