Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wrathchild
Guide
Guide

I’ve been an Arlo user for many years. Running Pro 2 cameras and a Ultra SmartHub base. I use an iPhone 10 to operate the app and my internet is not the issue. Everything is fully updated to whatever the most recent available updates are. 

Anyways, I disarmed my system today to do yard work. When I tried to rearm the system I noticed nothing appeared on the “Mode” tab of the app. It should allow me to arm or disarm the system. Instead I’m greeted with an empty screen. I went back to the “device” tab and it says all cameras are offline. 

I’ve rebooted, reset, etc. everything multiple times. If it’s a possible trouble shooting method, I’ve done it. Trust me. I’ve done it.  Nothing helped. All I did was waste my entire evening that I should have been spending with my family…thanks Arlo.

I redid my entire system. Set up the SmartHub and all my cameras across my property as if they were new. This worked. The “new” hub appeared in the app and each camera did as well once I synced and named them. The cameras picked up my movement and I have those recordings in my library. I turned off each camera, using the “device” tab, after I set up them up and confirmed it worked. Thinking my issue was solved, I went inside to call it a night. Once inside my home I opened the app and clicked the “mode” tab to arm all devices and was once again greeted with a blank screen…fantastic. 

I went back to the “device” tab and noticed the SmartHub device was no longer appearing on the list below my cameras. When I clicked on a camera it said it was connected to “base station”. This is not what I named my SmartHub. It’s as if app forgot my SmartHub existed in the time it took me to walk inside and made my cameras revert connection to some bogus placeholder hub name. 

Long story short, I’ve wasted hours on this stupid system and gone in a giant circle accomplishing nothing. It would be one thing if my Smarthub randomly crapped out while I was doing yard work and never worked again. But the fact that I redid the entire system, confirmed it worked, then minutes later my Hub magically disappears the moment I’m ready to turn everything on seems very suspicious. Arlo, fix this nonsense immediately. I’ve wasted enough time on this. 

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is investigating an issue with VMB4000 and VMB4500 base stations being removed when adjusting device order within Arlo account settings. 

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and are working on a resolution.

For additional updates on status, please refer to status.arlo.com

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

This topic has been escalated to the development team and these reports are currently being investigated. I will provide an update as soon as more information becomes available.

JamesC

169 REPLIES 169
tottiata
Tutor
Tutor

I did the same, I'm waiting for a solution.

JasonCCC
Star
Star

Well I just reset all my hubs and reconnected my cameras in the order I want them to appear. 
what a pain as I have a very particular order. 

I am NOT touching the device order option at all. 

we shall see if this work around to their issues works. 

waynetravels
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here. Was working fine through Sunday evening (9-18-22). Then all 5 cameras quit. Doorbell stopped working. Swirling arrow on phone. Log off, sig in. Unplug, re-plug, re-set, push that, twist that, turn around and jump up and down - twice. Nothing! I have called customer service off and on over the years with different issue. No one is ever helpful. Zip, nada. Frustrating. At our place, we need to have these cameras operating. We've had Arlo (two different systems) for several years. But I'm afraid we're reaching the "never again" point. 

Caseyb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same for me.  Just started today.  Factory resets do nothing.  Did a bad Firmware update come through?

Solosheep
Guide
Guide

Have you logged it with Arlo? My neighbour has a different Basestation and has no issue 

Victor_Li
Guide
Guide
Spoiler
The issue seems to be caused by re-ordering the devices. Following these steps: Factory reset base station->adding back base station in Arlo app->re-adding cameras in exactly the order you want them to show, do *NOT* re-order the devices in the app. So far so good; no disappearing base stations and all live view and recording working fine! 🙂
Caseyb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have not logged it.  How do you do that?  I tried the chat but every time I seem to get connected to a person, they never respond. 

I checked other posts across the Arlo boards and this isn't isolated.  Apparently lots of folks are having the same issue with different hubs.  The current solution that seems to work and which I just tried is to do a HUB reset, re add all of your cameras and make sure NOT to reorder the cameras in the app. It seems for many, the reordering of the cameras in the app cause the Hub to disconnect.  

It's been working so far...we'll see

Solosheep
Guide
Guide

Wish this was the case on my second full reset did not even get time to do a re-order before the base station disappeared. 

Victor_Li
Guide
Guide

I think you are spot on! 👍👍👍

I also believe that the issue may be caused by re-ordering the devices. Following these steps: Factory reset base station->adding back base station in Arlo app->re-adding cameras in exactly the order you want them to show, do *NOT* re-order the devices in the app. So far so good; no disappearing base stations and all live view and recording working fine! 🙂

GlennCass
Tutor
Tutor

Yep I did change the order of one of my devices.  If that's the problem you would think it would be an easy fix.  Hopefully soon.

Victor_Li
Guide
Guide

The issue you described seems similar to those who reported disappearing base station. It seems to be caused by re-ordering the devices. Following these steps: Factory reset base station->adding back base station in Arlo app->re-adding cameras in exactly the order you want them to show, do *NOT* re-order the devices in the app. So far so good; no disappearing base stations and all live view and recording working fine! 🙂

Victor_Li
Guide
Guide

The issue seems to be caused by re-ordering the devices. Following these steps: Factory reset base station->adding back base station in Arlo app->re-adding cameras in exactly the order you want them to show, do *NOT* re-order the devices in the app. So far so good; no disappearing base stations and all live view and recording working fine! 🙂

andrewinbriz
Guide
Guide

Thank you for the link. It is a frustrating read tho. I wonder at what point Arlo might consider to provide a solution to a problem it looks like they created? You could not seriously call them a responsible company, for the lack of communication, and the lack of a solution. Disgraceful behavior on their part.

It seems there is nothing more I can do, just wait for Arlo to fix their failure. But judging by some of the other comments on their poor customer service and disavow if responsibility, it might be a cold day in Hell when they decide to fix a problem it looks like they caused.

patriot64
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here I have call r with very little help over the years. I have had multiple Arlo systems including even using them at work. I have a 50 percent off for a camera due to one of my old Pro 2s dying bit I don't think I want to buy another camera even at 50 percent off. I am really close to switching systems. I have a kuna security camera light in my back yard. Definitely had better customer service and dealings with them over Arlo. I still have not heard back from Arlo after customer service messaged me this morning with the fixes to a problem that I don't even have. 

Presences
Initiate
Initiate

On two of my Arlo's base stations when I change Device Order all cameras go offline after a few minutes. Removed all cameras and press reset button then add camera's and works then change Device Order all offline. Anybody else having same problem? 

mtnhrdgr2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally was able to reach support on chat. I am going to tell you step by step what I did to get it working on...BUT THEN when I was done, it broke again!!!!! Ugh!!!!

Look at the app and your web portal. Do you see your Arlo base/hub as a listed device? If yes, then you may have a different issue than me. If you do not see your hub listed, then your issue may be similar to mine. Continue to read below.

Delete each of your cameras. Make sure that you do not see any devices both in your Arlo app and your Arlo web portal. Once you do not see any of your arlo devices, uninstall the app. Reboot your phone or whatever device the arlo app was on. Do not reinstall yet.

Once the arlo app has been uninstalled, unplug your Arlo base/hub and wait 1 minute. Plug it back in. Then wait for it to completely reboot. Wait 5 minutes to be safe. Once it has rebooted, then using a pin, press the reset button for 30 seconds (the support person told me 10 seconds, but I did 30 seconds just in case). Let go of the reset button and wait for it to reboot. I waited 5 minutes. 

Almost ready to reinstall the Arlo app but not quite yet. Support told me to put my phone on airplane mode (so I am not using cellular data) and told me to connect to my home wireless. I did that. Then I proceeded to reinstall the Arlo app.

Reinstall the arlo app on your device and log back in. There should be no device listed because you deleted them in the steps above. Click on the Add device button and select your Arlo base/hub then follow the prompts to reinstall your base/hub. (To be transparent, I had to unplug and reset the hub a total of 3 times before it took.) If successful, you will finally see your hub/base in the Arlo app. You may now install your cameras, one at a time, while still on airplane mode and connected to your WiFi

Adding/Syncing the cameras to the app and hub was more 'wonky' this time than when I first installed these when new. Some took a couple tries. Some took just one try.

I have 10 cameras in my plan. Once I was in the process of reinstalling the 8th camera, I noticed that the 8th camera was taking a while to sync. I looked at the Arlo app and the hub has now disappeared!!!! After all that effort and time, it blew out again.

I will try this whole process again. Install only 7 (it was fine before the 8th camera) and wait a few days to see what it does. If it works, then I will continue with the last 3 cameras.

IMO, this is 100% an update issue. I had updated the Arlo app Saturday night. When I woke up Sunday morning, my Arlo was no longer working. The support person did not confirm with me if this issue was wide spread, nor did he confirm my issue was the update.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@diigi_eye wrote:

Or nothing showing when clicking on MODE.  

You aren't seeing any modes? Are you perhaps using a "friend" account?

Dizeman
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your response, but for me that is a real pain in the butt since my cameras are permanently mounted in locations hard to get to, so bringing each one of them down to within 4 feet of the base station to re-pair them is a hassle. 

It always seems to be something with this system, today every camera on my PC Webpage shows "Your Arlo device appears offline Please make sure it’s powered on and connected to the Internet."  I can only access the cameras from my IPhone. 

Again, thanks for your help!

RodC74
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just did the factory reset without doing the craziness with my phone. Like you, after a while it disappeared again. I only added 6 cameras though. I’m still waiting for the fix or new app release or firmware update. Arlo should revert back to previous versions to get it back to working again while fixing the issue. 

zeadlots
Guide
Guide

I have now factory reset my Pro 2 base station and readded it and the camera's and have not touched the order.  I will monitor and let you guys know if it stays working.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Does the same issue occur over the web browser and Arlo app? 

Dk_northwest
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes. There seems to be some bug introduced lately that takes the base station down when you reorder the cameras. Several people have posted similar issues. I hope they fix it soon 

Pawz
Initiate
Initiate

I have been having this problem since the app was updated. Everyone I know that tries to reorder the devices has the same problem. Didn't realize it until someone shared a camera and didn't even think about the reorder. I've replicated this 5 times now. When is it going to be fixed. It's a real problem when you have to scroll through many devices to look at the one that should be at the top. Resetting everything, then changing all the settings, and making sure everyone that should have access has it is not worth doing until this bug is fixed.

Does anyone have the previous version that we could go back to until it's fixed?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This topic has been escalated to the development team and these reports are currently being investigated. I will provide an update as soon as more information becomes available.

JamesC

vaughansmith
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey there.

Today I logged onto my Arlo unit to turn off audio notifications from a camera (it was windy) and I can't access the Base Unit under "devices" to change the criteria of notifications.  It still kept sending me notifications, but when i clicked "Disarm all devices" it turned them off.  I have an Arlo Ultra under the app that I can still see but not the base station.  It's been working perfectly lately.  I logged onto the web browser and it's the same situation.  I can see the Ultra, I can see the cameras, but I can't do anything with them as the base unit that controls their functions is invisible. I have restarted the base unit, to no avail.  Has anyone has this problem before?

Cheers

Vaughan