Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Signed up for AT&T 300 Mbps fiber. After plugging Arlo Base Station, only getting 10-100 Mbps?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Ihate100bees
Tutor
Tutor

I recently signed up for AT&T 300 megabyte fiber with their modem internet 300 megabyte speed router. I have used all of the ports on coot to connect to other televisions and a couple wall inputs for laptop computers, so I bought a D-Link switch that gave me an additional 8 ports. The switcher automatically kicks over from 10/100 megabytes to 1 gig. When I plug the base station into the switcher with the additional ports that is connected to my router, it's telling me that it's only pulling 10 to100 megabytes... but when I look at the Arlo app and check the cameras out, it says they are working... but poor connection? I think when I had the arlo Bass Station pluged directly into my router, the connection was better. So my question is: does anyone know how many megabytes the Arlo base station actually requires? According to this switcher, it is somewhere less than a 100... so I'm not sure why the signal would be better when connected directly to my router. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's an FAQ here on how much bandwidth is needed by each resolution. Multiply the peak bandwidth times the number of cameras concurrently streaming. Don't forget that one base can only stream 5 cameras at once.

A pretty good assumption is 1.5Mbps per camera at 1080p times 5 cameras = 7.5Mbps. If you have a second base with more camres or Q cameras, add those in, too. 100Mbps is gross overkill for Arlo in virtually any case. Same with the USB ports which are USB2.0 - you could never swamp the port (the drive is a different issue if you use a cheap, slow thumb drive).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base only uses a 100Mbps connection since that's all that would ever be needed. You simply can't exceed that speed with a base and every camera recording at the same time. It's totally normal.

Ihate100bees
Tutor
Tutor
Do you know where I can see the specification for just the base station? I suppose I could just call technical support but it would be much better to post it. Before purchasing the system, Arlo told me I would need " at least"... 75 to 100 mbs for them to even work. So I would just like to see what their specifications actually say. If you have a link to somewhere that shows the 100 peak draw, can you please post it? Thanks
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's an FAQ here on how much bandwidth is needed by each resolution. Multiply the peak bandwidth times the number of cameras concurrently streaming. Don't forget that one base can only stream 5 cameras at once.

A pretty good assumption is 1.5Mbps per camera at 1080p times 5 cameras = 7.5Mbps. If you have a second base with more camres or Q cameras, add those in, too. 100Mbps is gross overkill for Arlo in virtually any case. Same with the USB ports which are USB2.0 - you could never swamp the port (the drive is a different issue if you use a cheap, slow thumb drive).

Ihate100bees
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks so much for all this information. This will also help me if I need to add more cameras and another base station to know where things are.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation