Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Signal Booster for Arlo Pro 2

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
wandreis
Follower
Follower

I just bought my 6pack Arlo Pro 2 camera and the outside cameras simply doesn't work due to the signal strength. I really hope that Arlo has a solution for this, or at least open the camera's wifi password as i can install a 3rd party wifi range extender.
Wireless cameras is a great option over wired ones, IF it works.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you need better signal strength, you have 2 options:

1) Move the base to be more centrally located relative to the cameras

2) Use another (or more) base so that the signal for the attached cameras is sufficient.

A WiFi extender won't work to extend the Arlo signal since it would have to be able to join the dedicated WiFi from the base which isn't allowed. You can use a WiFi or powerline extender to allow easy connection of another base without running long cables.

A question, though, about the outdoor cameras - what is the house construction? Stucco, for instance, uses a wire mesh to support it which tends to block the signal well.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Make sure you have the latest firmware on the hub and cameras.  There have been several releases and they have improved the signal strength. I have one camera outside 180 feet from the house and it shows two bars.  If your house construction blocks WiFi, then you would need to place a hub where it can get a signal from the outside cameras.

You wouldn't be able to use an extender with the cameras even if you had the password.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation