Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Vicsplace
Aspirant
Aspirant
I purchased the Pro 2 system to help me keep my aging mother safe in her home. I was disappointed to find out that i could not arm the system for sound detection only. Even with the motion adjusted down to 1% it detects a person moving in the room, maybe not a dog but it will detect a person. My hopes would be to havw a sytem that would send a notification if my mother activated an alarm worn around her neck if she needed me. I realize there are systems out there ( without cameras) that can be used but they have to have a monthly monitoring fee. I like the idea having the cameras to activate if by chance I dont get a response if or when she fails to answer the phone if i call. Just one more nitch this system could fill.
13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All settings are in your modes, not the Motion Detecion Test section, which only gives you a numbern to use in your modes. Use the Mode tab, select your base and edit your modes (Armed by default). You can turn off motion detection and enable sound detection, which is enabled by default. Read the FAQs here on how to modify modes and create custom modes.

Tom06
Apprentice
Apprentice
You CAN set up the camera to record and alert you based upon sound detection!
VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

"...help me keep my aging mother safe..."  I did a similar thing for my elderly father living alone in another city. With the Arlo you are so much further ahead than the technology I had available which was a Skype type webcam sitting on top of a monitor attached to a PC. I was always at risk of being discovered because I had to remotely control the computer over the Internet and if he happened to be sitting in front of the computer when I remotely took command to turn on the webcam, I'd be found out checking up on him. I also had the PC setup so I could turn it on remotely to check in if I hadn't received an email or phone call. It was crude but worked for about 10 years I needed it. 

May I suggest your Arlo camera is only a small part of keeping your parent safe. The other part is knowing what her daily pattern is, wake up time, snack and meal times, bed time, going out time, pattern for which lights come on and go off, etc. Abberations in those patterns will alert you to something may be wrong. A once or twice daily check-in if you can convince her "if you are insisting on staying in your house instead of moving to a home, you need to call me in the morning and in the evening, then I won't worry about you". Get her to tell you her plans for the day so you have an idea if she drops out if sight for awhile. Assuming you have the Arlo plugged into AC power, you can go to live video anytime and check in periodically during the day. With the mic you'll be able to hear sounds in her house (TV, radio, vacuum, pots,alarm, etc). You won't get to-the-second alert as you describe it, but being able to covertly check in is quite assuring.

For a non-subscription alarm that calls out, there are devices that connected to the house phone or a cellphone. It is like an answering machine but in reverse. Pushing the button worn around the neck would start the machine and it would dial a pre-determined number and play a recoded message. Something like this item

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Emergency-Phone-Dialer-HELP-DIALER-ONE-MEDICAL-ALERT-NO-MONTHLY-CHARGES/32138...

I don't presume to know your or your mother's situation. I've been through something like what you describe and I offer what reassured me while keeping my parent safe living on their own. 

Vicsplace
Aspirant
Aspirant
But currently you can not get notifications for sound alone. I do not want notifications all day as she moves around the house, only when she calls out for me .
Vicsplace
Aspirant
Aspirant
When i go into mode it only lets me reduce my motion sensitivity down to 1%. It does not allow you to eliminate motion detection all together and use only sound when the system is armed.
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Vicsplace wrote:
When i go into mode it only lets me reduce my motion sensitivity down to 1%. It does not allow you to eliminate motion detection all together and use only sound when the system is armed.

I believe you need to create yourself a new mode.  You don't have to use the default mode.

-Robert
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Vicsplace wrote:

Click Mode at the top.

Click the > symbol at the right of the default "Armed" mode.

Click Edit next to the camera you want to detect on sound only.

Uncheck "Motion is detected" and check "Audio is detected."

Repeat for additional cameras.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Vicsplace wrote:
But currently you can not get notifications for sound alone. I do not want notifications all day as she moves around the house, only when she calls out for me .

I seem to be able to

Arlo audio only.jpg

Vicsplace
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was able to figure out how to change motion notification to sound notification. While it was on motion notification, it took 10 minutes for me to receive a notification alert to my email that a camera has detected motion. I think that is too long. Is there a way to get alerts faster?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, use the push notofication which happen immeditely. Email notifications happen after the video is completely uploaded and are subject to email server limitations.

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@Vicsplacewrote:
I was able to figure out how to change motion notification to sound notification. While it was on motion notification, it took 10 minutes for me to receive a notification alert to my email that a camera has detected motion. I think that is too long. Is there a way to get alerts faster?

Are you using the Arlo app on a smartphone or tablet? I get the notifications by way of the app instantly. I can walk out a door where there is a camera aimed and I'd say within a second or two I hear the ding from the app that the camera has detected motion. Same with sound, a camera is near a kitchen window and if the window is open and I make some noise in he kitchen, I can hear notification within a second or two from my cellphone (plus a video recording of nothing). 

If you are receiving notifications by email, how long it takes is the combined time of how long it takes for the email to arrive in your inbox at whatever service you are using, say gmail, and then the interval time for your email program or app to check for new email, at whatever interval you've set, say every 10-15 minutes. So use the cellphone/tablet app, you will get nearly instant notification of a noise. The noise can be quite far away too and not in line of sight. A neighbour had a contractor working on their house and I was getting recordings all day from their hammering from across the street. 

Vicsplace
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thx..i have the arlo app on my smartphone and i will check into what you said.
Vicsplace
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thx...i will check into what you said.
Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation