Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Security concerns

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
netcamera
Guide
Guide

I've been considering a wifi camera system but have some concerns about security e.g. if the camera network were to be hacked and someone would have access to my computers and intercept online transactions.

I currently have a FIOS modem/router but don't use its wifi - the device is connected by ethernet to an Apple Airport Extreme base station. Do the Arlo devices that use a base station set up their own, independent wifi network with its own password? If so, does that provide more security than, say, the Arlo Q that works off of an existing wifi network that is also used for all other online activity?

Thanks for looking and as I am not very knowledgable about networking please keep the jargon to a minimum.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yes, the Arlo wire-free, Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2 cameras work on their own secure network with the base station. I think it's WPA-PSK encrypyted. Technically it's as hackable as your home wifi router but I don't see why someone would go to that effort for the camera network

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yes, the Arlo wire-free, Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2 cameras work on their own secure network with the base station. I think it's WPA-PSK encrypyted. Technically it's as hackable as your home wifi router but I don't see why someone would go to that effort for the camera network

netcamera
Guide
Guide

Thanks for that information. I was thinking it was an advantage of the Arlo Q that it doesn't require the base station, but whatever else it might be used for, if the base station provides a higher level of security for my home network then at least to me it might be worth it.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I guess the biggest advantage of the wireless varieties is their wirelessness and ease of placement. I'd suggest you ignore any super cheap Arlo HD/wire-free systems and only get either Arlo Pro or Arlo Pro 2 systems if you decide to go with a system with a base

UzYRCommonSense
Aspirant
Aspirant

Your answer is sound but come on steve_t.

In this day and age of wierdos, you wonder why someone would want to hack into your video stream????

steve_t
Master Master
Master

UzYRCommonSense wrote:

Your answer is sound but come on steve_t.

In this day and age of wierdos, you wonder why someone would want to hack into your video stream????

I actually do. I'm not a celebrity or even a prominent person in the community. They'd hack into my cameras and see the outside of my house. Most of my recordings are of the driveway, which you can see from the street anyway. Cameras down each side of the house are lucky to be triggered once a day. I don't walk around the backyard naked. It's not like my cameras are the only security measure on the property. They'd be better off spending their time hacking my wifi and trying to get my banking details or something like that.
Actually, I'd say it'd be more lucrative for them to grab my cameras and run rather than try to hack them

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

steve_t wrote:

I don't walk around the backyard naked.

You've given me an idea for my idiot neighbors...  😛

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

steve_t wrote:

I don't walk around the backyard naked.