Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 2 video based motion detection

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
aa17
Tutor
Tutor

The motion detector on my arlo pro 2 does not have the range to detect motion close to my front gate (~35ft), even though motion is clearly visible on the video stream.  My impression is that when on AC power the camera is able to detect motion in the video stream in specified activity zones.  However, even after I set the activity zones, the camera does not trigger on motion.  Not even when a car is driven across it.  Does something special need to be done to enable this feature (besides setting up activity zones)?

7 REPLIES 7
Streak2
Master Master
Master

If on mains and you do nothing the default will be to detect motion on the full image.

If you create zones then you tell the camera which zone to use under modes.

What is the sensitivity set at?

And just to be sure, you do have the motion detection rule check box checked?

aa17
Tutor
Tutor

The sensitivity is at 100% (previously tried 80% and did not work either).  Motion detection is turned on in Mode -> Rules, but the "running man" icon is not green.  However when I pick up the camera and move it, it does say motion is detected and records for 30s.

I tried with activity zones and without zones and in both cases it does not pickup any movement, even large objects.  The status shows that the camera is connected to AC power.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Black running man means motion detection activated. It turns amber when there is movement.

Remove and replace the battery in the camera which will reset it and force it to resync with the base.

For good measure power cycle the base as well.

Let's see if that helps.

aa17
Tutor
Tutor

Power cycling the base and camera did not help, but it did trigger a firmware update.  After the update, the problem persists.  It detects motion when I manually move the camera, but not when there is actual movement in front of it.  I have disabled the audio trigger, only motion trigger is active.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have a camera that seems to have this issue, too.  Very close by motion will trigger it but nothing at the rnge where it's useful. Open a case with support.

aa17
Tutor
Tutor

I spoke to Arlo tech support and was disappointed to find out that this camera (Arlo Pro 2) does NOT do video based motion detection even when on AC power.  Rather, the motion detection is always based on the IR motion sensor.  That seems to be a brain dead way to do it since the video is always running (for the 3s lookback feature) and could yield much better motion detection.  Instead the ~20ft range limitation of the IR motion sensor applies even when on AC power.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

aa17 wrote:

..... Rather, the motion detection is always based on the IR motion sensor.  That seems to be a brain dead way to do it since the video is always running (for the 3s lookback feature) and could yield much better motion detection.  Instead the ~20ft range limitation of the IR motion sensor applies even when on AC power.

I thought motion detection, when on a/c power, is pixels based sensing and not IR.

Did I misunderstand AP2 stated features or was tech support wrong?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation