Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recording to USB drives with Arlo Pro 2 without Internet connection.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Hello.

I noticed the new Arlo Pro 2's base station doesn't record to a mounted 64 GB USB flash drive when there is no Internet connection. Shouldn't it still be recording locally at least? It works fine if it has Internet connection though.

Thank you in advance. 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
steve_t
Master Master
Master

That doesn't sound good. If anything, it'd be better if it was the opposite.

Have you tried power cycling your base station?

Which firmware version is your base station showing?

ant
Mentor
Mentor

wrote:

Hmm, I have to reboot after upgrading its firmware yesterday's setup (it even asked me so I went ahead before I configured and upgraded the cameras and base station)? I didn't want to upgrade after configuring in case I ran into issues. Oy.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@antwrote:

wrote:

Hmm, I have to reboot after upgrading its firmware yesterday's setup (it even asked me so I went ahead before I configured and upgraded the cameras and base station)? I didn't want to upgrade after configuring in case I ran into issues. Oy.

OK, that was weird. https://arlo.netgear.com/#/cameras said all four of new cameras needed firmware upgrades after Pro 2's base station reboot. I just did the camera upgrades yesterday afternoon PST after synching with the 2 Pro's base station before placing the cameras in their positions. Did Netgear just release new updates since then? Argh. OK, here are the versions:

Base station:
HW version = VMB4000r3
Firmware = 1.9.8.0_16666

All 4 of its cameras:
HW version = H3
Firmware = 1.125.5.0_17202

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I think there was a Pro2 firmware update in the last 48 hours

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

According to the Release Notes section here, there was a base firmware update recently but not a camera one. I have the same versions as noted above but can't vouch for when they were updated.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Current Arlo Pro 2 release notes are now available here: Firmware Release Notes

With local storage backup enabled, your cameras will continue to function based on the last mode that was set prior to the internet connection dropping. So if the cameras were Armed, they should continue to record to the local storage drive through an internet outage. Take a look here for more information: Arlo Support How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo Pro base station?

JamesC

ant
Mentor
Mentor

wrote:

With local storage backup enabled, your cameras will continue to function based on the last mode that was set prior to the internet connection dropping. So if the cameras were Armed, they should continue to record to the local storage drive through an internet outage. Take a look here for more information: Arlo Support How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo Pro base station?

JamesC

Oh wow, new camera updates but this link was dated today and not yesterday? A premature release? I will have to retest the offline recordings to USB flash drive later.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@antwrote:

wrote:

JamesC

Oh wow, new camera updates but this link was dated today and not yesterday? A premature release? I will have to retest the offline recordings to USB flash drive later.

OK, a quick local offline recording seems to work with an AC connected indoor camera. I will have to test more later like without the outdoor cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation