Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
CFK
Guide
Guide

I just bought an Arlo Pro 2 system with 4 cameras. One of the reasons I chose this over other competitors was because I’m supposed to na able to used without a subscription plan.

You can imagine how frustrated I’ve been after being presented with the message “This device is inactive. A paid Arlo Smart subscription is required to activate the device.” when setting up the cameras. I’m forced to choose a plan to activate the camera and there is no free or no-plan option. 

I tried removing the system from my account and resetting the base without success. I only bought 4 cameras, under the limit for paid plans. This message appear with one and now two cameras configured only,

I also tried to contact support, and after waiting for a while I accepted the offer to be called back. Understandable in times of Covid19. When I received the call the support person simply hung up, I called immediately back and was informed the support hours were over for the day. I open a case with no response, yet.

How do I activate the cameras without paying for a subscription?
Is the only solution to return it? Product and support first impression are not helping.

77 REPLIES 77
NightRose
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Guys, I’m having the exact same problem—has anyone had any success resolving this issue? I have 3 camera active and one that says I can not use it with out a paid subscription.
NightRose
Aspirant
Aspirant
Help?!? Has there been an update I still can not use my Arlo camera because of the subscription error 😞
devoncurry
Aspirant
Aspirant
I ended up eventually getting mine to work by signing up using the app on an iOS device using another new email address. Not sure what the magic combo ended up being but Arlo support was less than useless and I just kept hammering with combo’s of new devices and email addresses