Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Re-enable 7 day cloud recording for EOL cameras?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
gtanner1x1
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's pretty ridiculous that I have to post here, but since I let my subscription lapse, I have no way to contact Arlo about ANY of my hardware, including hardware that was purchased using the EOL discounts provided. It's been said a bunch on this community, but that's not a good policy. 

So ok, back to it.

Now that I've let my Arlo Secure subscription lapse for *reasons*, I don't have cloud recording for my Pro2 cameras (or my legacy doorbell...) I have two hubs and local storage connected to both, but everyone knows those clips aren't available in the app. The *updated* EOL policy shows that 7 day cloud storage has been extended to EOL cameras, but I can't seem to figure out how to re-enable it. Can anyone help?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gtanner1x1 wrote:

Now that I've let my Arlo Secure subscription lapse for *reasons*, I don't have cloud recording for my Pro2 cameras (or my legacy doorbell...) I have two hubs and local storage connected to both, but everyone knows those clips aren't available in the app. The *updated* EOL policy shows that 7 day cloud storage has been extended to EOL cameras, but I can't seem to figure out how to re-enable it. Can anyone help?

First point is that the video doorbells were not sold with free 7-day cloud storage, and have always required a subscription for cloud recordings.  (Also none of the video doorbells are on the EoL list).

Second point is that the free 7-day storage for Pro/Pro 2 models has always been limited to 5 or fewer unsubscribed cameras in the account.  If you have more than 5, then it is automatically disabled.  Is that your situation?

If you have exceeded the 5 camera limit, you can create a second account, and shift one of the base stations+cameras to it.  Then use the friend account feature to give you access to the cameras (and recordings) from a single account.

gtanner1x1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB

You're right - the Doorbell never had cloud recording, and that has been a sore spot for a long time. I've tried several solutions including Arlo "smart" hubs to fit my use case but nothing has ever worked. It's incredibly annoying.

Second, I do have more than 5 cameras. Two of my old Pro2s have died and I made the mistake of replacing them with Essential Spotlights and added a Floodlight.

I understand the limitation of having only 5 cameras being able to record to Cloud. I think it's a terrible policy that does not encourage people to expand their systems. I've already decided I won't be moving forward with Arlo as my cameras go offline though, so I don't expect Arlo really cares about this use case. My problem right now is that I can't select which cameras record to cloud. I've got some extra cameras that recording to local storage would be OK, but I can't select which ones those are as far as I can tell. I'm happy to be wrong here, but I've looked everywhere I can and don't see any options to select Record to Cloud or Record to Local. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gtanner1x1 wrote:

don't see any options to select Record to Cloud or Record to Local. 

The only path is to reduce the number of unsubscribed cameras in the account to 5 or less.

For instance, move wifi-connected cameras to a second account, and perhaps get a second base so you can move some of the base-connected cameras.  Then share the cameras using the friend account feature.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation