Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Donell02
Follower
Follower

I have some questions in order to find out whether the Arlo pro 2 is right for me.
1) I want to put mine up in a tree on the top of my property. There is no WiFi up there. Does the camera itself need to connect to the internet? Or does it connect directly to the base station then the base station to WiFi?
2) How far does the connection reach between the base station and the camera?
3) If the camera is connecting to the base station wirelessly, can I still get continuous video? This is a major point for me.
4) If the internet goes down, can I still access the video? Does it back-up all recorded video when the internet comes back on?
Thank you! Hopefully someone is able to answer all the question😊

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

1. The base station connects to the internet via an ethernet cable. This can either be to your router or you could use a wifi range extender with an ethernet port to allow the base station to be positioned further away from the router

2. Base to camera max range is 300 ft IIRC but it is reduced by building materials.

3. You can't record continuous video (CVR) unless your camera is connected with AC power

4. If the internet goes down, the camera will still record to the base station USB backup. Obviously, you need to have a USB drive attached and to have enabled the function. When the internet comes back, the videos do not get uploaded to the cloud. You must manually remove the drive and attach it to a computer and watch the videos with VLC or similar.

Hope that helps

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

wrote:

3) If the camera is connecting to the base station wirelessly, can I still get continuous video? This is a major point for me.

I have a camera up in a tree about 12' up. Regarding continuous recording, what are you hoping to capture in the video? With the motion and noise detection my setup records video when something moves in the field of view or there is sufficient noise (e.g., a garbage truck passing 150' away). In a sense I have "continuous recording" but only of the things I am interested in knowing about. The camera's motion detection detects a cat or racoon walking by at 35 feet. No human or cat sized animal goes past my camera without being recorded. However if you are interested in watching something far away that won't trigger motion detection or sound detection, then the wireless camera won't do that. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation