Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
OttisbergArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo 2 4 camera system, 3 of the cameras just when offline saying "This device is inactive, A paid subscription is required to activate the device."

I don't want a subscription, just to get my cameras active.

I have read and understand that more than 5 camera needs a subscription, but I only have 4.

Odd that 1 camera is still working and recording.

What can I do to get these cameras back?

Thank you.

45 REPLIES 45
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you get the same message using the web client (my.arlo.com)? Have you rebooted the base?

OttisbergArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Inactive in both the app and browser. I'm out of state (hence wanting cameras to keep an eye on things), so a reboot will be a couple weeks away.  I'll reply with what I find.  Appreciate your response.

karafu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same exact issue with my Arlo Pro camera system (VMB4000). Started today. Have 5 cameras that I was getting the free 7 day cloud service with. Now all cameras show the message "This device is inactive. A paid subscription is required to activate the device."

Inactive in both the app and browser. Rebooted the base unit, and get the same issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There have been a number of recent reports about this. Do you guys have any activity zones defined? If so, delete them to see if that helps.

@JamesC , @ShayneS 

karafu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don’t have any activity zones defined.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you provide a screenshot of the error messaging?

Thank you 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@karafu 

Can you Pm me with your Admin account email, I only see a doorbell associated under your account name at the moment. 

karafu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 4.42.19 PM - Copy.jpgScreenshot 2023-06-29 at 4.43.10 PM - Copy.jpg

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@karafu 

Thank you, the team has been notified and I will continue to update this thread as soon as I have more information to share. 

jjgolfer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had Arlo cameras for several years along with the base hub at my house.  3 days ago I received the message "This device is inactive.  A paid subscription is required to activate the device."  Why did this happen?

Estones72
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have same issue. 4 ARLO 2s and 3 of the 4 show this?? Tried rebooting hub and removing and adding batteries again.  Nothing works. 

IMG_2503.png

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"Inactive" means it's not in the subscription. Do you have a sub? If so, which one? If no sub, the old 7 day, 5 camera plan still exists for free.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Seems to be happening to a number of folks. @JamesC or @ShayneS 

Jillii
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have Arlo Pro 2's with a base station and exterior backup hard drive. They are suddenly offline and say I need a subscription after 5 years of using this way. I purchased the set of five Arlo's purposely so that I could avoid a subscription why is it doing this?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Unknown reason ; Legacy cameras like the Pro/Pro2 should still be working under a free account...

If they went offline for some reason you may have to do a full reset of base / cameras to get them back.

Tho I would just attempt to re-sync the cameras first if the base is online.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are a number of similar complaints. I don't know the reason nor the solution. It's possible that removing all devices from your account and adding them back in as if new may (or may not) help. It's also possible that migrating to the new user interface (UI) that uses Feed to view videos instead of the old Library may (or may not) help. If you choose to do this, add either a Pro 5 or security system, even though you have neither. The first step is to migrate to the new UI after which you can back out of the bogus install. Note that custom modes don't migrate and the new UI is significantly different so take the time to go through the whole UI to understand where things are and how they work.

jandmmichels
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recall that Arlo repeatedly said that all of our EOL cameras would still work and 7 day cloud storage would continue past the July 1st date.

My 5 cameras will only live view, NOTHING ELSE.

Jillii
Aspirant
Aspirant

The devices are online. This is a screenshot 

Screenshot_20230701_111459_Arlo Secure.jpg

Jillii
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do have 2 wired arlo doorbells also but never had an issue.  I was not able to record the doorbells and o ly could view them live which was fine

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jandmmichels wrote:

I recall that Arlo repeatedly said that all of our EOL cameras would still work and 7 day cloud storage would continue past the July 1st date.

My 5 cameras will only live view, NOTHING ELSE.

Are you seeing any indications suggestion that you need a subscription?  Some have, and Arlo says the devs are investigating.

Are you able to make a manual recording when livestreaming?

jandmmichels
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I did see an offer for free trial of their new security plan.

jandmmichels
Aspirant
Aspirant

No capability to manual record on any camera. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jandmmichels wrote:

No capability to manual record on any camera. 

But nothing on the device screen that suggests you need a subscription???

Did you try rebooting the base?

jandmmichels
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nothing via Arlo app or when livestreaming devices (cameras) 

Discussion stats