Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 2 sometimes online and sometimes offline

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
B2R
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have had my Arlo Pro 2 cameras for about two years . I’m now having trouble with one of the cameras. It shows off line . Then times it’s works fine then back to off line. My cameras are hooked to solor panels. The battery was charged to 92 % . I took down camera and it worked while in my hand. While down I charged it to 100%. I took out battery for a couple minutes and plugged back in works . Go and attach it to bracket / holder and plug in solor panel it works for a while. Then off line again . Go back and unplug solor panel still doesn’t work shows off line. I take it down bring back in side it works . Reattach out side again works for a bit then same thing. It’s in the same location for two years. Temp outside was about 60 degrees if that helps. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I was thinking of switching camera with another on to see if same thing happens or not giving me a idea if it the camera it self or something else.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
B2R
Apprentice
Apprentice
For those following this problem with my camera. I bought a wifi extender and after extender has been hooked up I haven’t had the camera go off line. Strange that the camera worked in the same location for 2 years and then decided to go off line now and then . More now than then. Maybe as mentioned in one of the reply’s there maybe some type of interference started going on near my house . So as of now all is good with cameras all being on line and working properly. It’s been a week using extender. Thanks again for all the reply’s.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Dannybear
Master
Master
Switching cameras would be a good start point. Maybe try without the solar plugged in to eliminate it as the cause.

Is the base station next to the local router, relocate it away if you can or move it closer to the problem camera.
B2R
Apprentice
Apprentice
I will see if I can move base it is close to router, but it’s been there for the last two years but I will give it a try. Sense I first posted I took camera down again . I removed device from account and unplugged battery. Then re added camera to account and replugged in battery works great go outside and it works in my hand . Then put it on top of ladder which is about 6 inches from bracket works good after a few minutes reattach to bracket works good . Go put ladder away and go inside look at app that camera now shows off line . I think this camera likes messing with me. Now going out side and try leaving camera hooked to holder but remove battery and connect to ac using extension cord and she if that works . Thinking maybe battery shows charge but actually drops down to nothing after a few minutes. If it works being plugged in to ac power I will then try a different battery and see what happens then.
Dannybear
Master
Master
The camera might have a poltergeist.

It is possible that you have something causing the wifi to be interfered with or the location causes more power required from the battery.
B2R
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for replying. Tried a few things sense last post . One I got a longer cord /cable and was able to move base further away from router . Maybe 5 feet away now . Went out and plugged in ac power while hook to bracket. Worked fine then a few minutes later off line . Then went and switched batteries and then plugged in ac power same thing off line within a couple minutes. Switched batteries back then switched cameras with out hooking up solor panels on either cameras. Three hours latter all good . Three in a half hours later now other camera in that bad location now goes off line then back on line . To me now it’s something to do with WiFi strength like you mentioned. Strange that this all of a sudden started with in the last week. I haven’t added anything using WiFi maybe neighbor got something new . So my thinking it’s not anything to do with the camera it’s self. I read on this forum we’re someone had trouble with one of there cameras after a update. Could this be related ? Does anyone know when that update was done ( date ) and number of update firmware ? Last does anyone think a WiFi extender would help . But two of my cameras are further away from base than the one giving me a headache ! So would that then help. Thanks again for your thoughts and reply’s.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Release notes are updated here.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

Connection issues can occur with congestion of the wifi.
If you use a wifi scanner app you can identify if another source is impacting the channel used.
I fix my local router channel to a quiet channel as the base station should follow it.
B2R
Apprentice
Apprentice
I don’t have a WiFi scanner. Tomorrow I will check them out on the App Store. I might try a WiFi booster / extender and see if that helps out. I really appreciate all your help in trying to solve why my one camera location keeps going to off line . After I get extender or use Wi-fi scanner I will post here so you and others know how I made out . Thanks again !
Dannybear
Master
Master
If you have a mobile phone you can download an app for the scanner. Android scanner apps are fancy with graphical display etc.
iPhone scanner apps are harder to find but I use the Apple airport app with wifi scan enabled in the settings to give you the basic details.

The wifi extenders are intended for relocating the base station closer to the cameras by providing a wireless Ethernet connection.

Maybe try a long Ethernet cable first to see if moving the base closer will work.
B2R
Apprentice
Apprentice
For those following this problem with my camera. I bought a wifi extender and after extender has been hooked up I haven’t had the camera go off line. Strange that the camera worked in the same location for 2 years and then decided to go off line now and then . More now than then. Maybe as mentioned in one of the reply’s there maybe some type of interference started going on near my house . So as of now all is good with cameras all being on line and working properly. It’s been a week using extender. Thanks again for all the reply’s.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation